MakForge Field Trip Report

Here are my pictures to help describe this. So you have foamcore material (dark red are the paper coating and pink is the inner foam "core).

What I found happened when trying to cut all the way through in one pass, was you had to increase the laser power and go slower as the laser had to vaporize the top layer, foam, and bottom layer. This dumped a lot of heat near the foam and caused it to retract beyond the paper (essentially the paper has one kerf thickness and the foam has a different kerf thickness).

So, if the first vector cut would only cut through the top paper layer, the power and speed could be set such that heat build up would be less.

Then the second vector cut would only cut through the foam (this would probably be a faster speed and lower power vector cut).

Then lastly, the third cut would go through the back/bottom paper coating.

I’m not knowledgeable enough as to know if this really is what’s causing the kerf in the foam to not be so large when using three passes to cut through, but in my mind that is what’s going on. I can tell you though from experience that these are the observations I saw when using this material and procedure!

33 Likes

Awesome! I will certainly use this concept as a starting point when I’m ready to try this. Thanks!

4 Likes

Excellent diagram. Thanks for showing it to us.

3 Likes

I think you missed a few “pew, pews” but I like the way you illustrate the idea

15 Likes

This would be known as the PEW-pew-PEW technique.

5 Likes

The illustration really showed it up for me. given you are doing 3 passes, I imagine some time to cool between passes also helps.

2 Likes

I love this! I love when people work together and help each other! woot woot!

4 Likes