Making $60k in 72 Hours thanks to the Glowforge

Hey Glowforge owners! I thought I’d chime in with my story owning a Glowforge Pro over the past 6 months and how it helped me launch a product into the market and do almost $60k in sale in the first 72 hours.

About two months ago I had the idea to build a coffee table where the top surface is a jigsaw puzzle. I used the glowforge pro and passthrough feature to design the top surface puzzle and a grid pattern base to hold the puzzle pieces. You can watch behind the scenes of me building it here: https://youtu.be/bWAfYDZPfPY

Then over the next month or so I kept tinkering with the design using the Glowforge to figure out the best puzzle piece arrangement, test out different sizes for the table, roundness of the corners, etc until I thought I had the perfect design. Having the Glowforge I was able to rapidly do this and test out multiple ideas in a single day. If a new idea came to me, I could grab a piece of plywood and give it a shot. It would have taken weeks upon weeks if I had to do this design iteration process with a manufacturer.

Once I thought I had the idea perfected I was then able to take that finalized design and have it sampled by a furniture manufacturer. Since I had the Glowforge to work out the kinks, the first actual pre-production sample I got was exactly as I wanted.

I launched the table on Kickstarter this week and we are almost 72 hours into the campaign and it’s over 500% Funded and almost at $60,000 in sales!

While the final product to customers isn’t made on the machine - I just thought I’d share some inspiration on a different way that I used my Glowforge to turn an idea into a product!

You can check out the KS campaign here if you’d like: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/unnecessaryinvent/the-jigsaw-puzzle-coffee-table?ref=a43sox

75 Likes

Hey, great! Congratulations!! :sunglasses:
Cool idea :+1:

6 Likes

Brilliant! Well done.

5 Likes

Phenomenal success story! Congratulations! :grinning:

4 Likes

Congrats. Those tables are so AWESOME!!!

4 Likes

This is awesome! How did you get connected with a furniture maker?

6 Likes

This is wild in that this is the second Glowforge/puzzle success story. Who would have thought that combination would be such a thing?

Congratulations.

7 Likes

Fantastic!!

4 Likes

What a wonderful story, thank you for sharing and much more success for you!!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow! That’s awesome! Congrats!!

4 Likes

Congratulations and well done!

6 Likes

Oh man I knew I recognized you from somewhere, I’ve seen some of your unnecessary inventions on the internet. Congrats on the success!

5 Likes

Congrats! Very inspirational story and the table is very fun!

6 Likes

Congratulations.

I’d thought of using tesselating patterns but never just large puzzles pieces.

Now you’ll have to do matching end tables

8 Likes

Amazing job, and congratulations!

4 Likes

Wow! Good for you. That’s ingenius!

3 Likes

Well done!

3 Likes

Love it! That is awesome!

2 Likes

Congratulations! What a cool idea :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congratulations. I just saw your post on IMGUR last night.

2 Likes