Making ear savers but trouble cutting through plastic!

Hello, I am trying to make the ear savers for my wife’s nurses! She is the director of the intensive care unit! When I use the settings given, it does not cut through all the way. If I put it on full power, it burns the acrylic! At this point I am lost! I feel like I’ve tried everything, but after 3 days trying, I’m spent,can somebody give me so ideas I may not have tried, or settings I can try? Thank you in advance! Scott

As you’ve listed settings as is, full power, and “everything”, not sure what to suggest other than ask what exactly have you tried?

Also, have you kept the machine clean? Specifically the windows, lenses, and fans?

1 Like

I think we might need a few more details on what you have tried. If the machine has been used a while, your lenses might need a little cleaning in order to cut through the acrylic. You could always try slowing down the cut speed too as a potential interim solution. Let us know what happens and what you have tried.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve hit this snag, and I appreciate all of the amazing work you have been doing for our ear savers program.

I’d like to perform a baseline print on your Glowforge, and review the log files to ensure everything is performing as it should.

Could you please do the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge, then turn it back on
  2. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place Proofgrade Draftboard in the bed and load the Gift of Good Measure design.
  3. Set the score and engrave steps to ‘ignore.’ Print the Gift of Good measure using the default settings. Allow the print to finish.
  4. When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture of the bed updates.
  5. Check the completed print:
    • If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut, please let us know the date and time of the print
  • If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you saw the issue with, and let us know the results.
  1. If the issue still occurs, please let us know the date and time of the finished print.

Let us know how it goes!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.