Making inkscape able to make a edge cutout. The layers I create don't have engrave, cut or score options only engrave on one layer

I have been trying to make ear rings with different images I have in .svg format.

I have been duplicating the .svg file and filling it with a solid color. Then I create a circle cutout for it to be attached to the ear ring.

When I upload the file to glowforge it recognizes the 3 different parts of the job.

The problem is that 1 of the layers is only able to be engraved and not scored or cut. I want to be able to score the image and then use the same outline to cut it out and put a small hole in it.

I can do the job that I want to do by using the engraving function but it takes so much longer than scoring.

I just would like to know how to create the image in inkscape so that each individual layer has the option to be engraved, scored or cut.

HEEEELLLLLPPPPPP. Thanks in advance!

GF doesn’t use layers, it uses colors to differentiate operations. This is covered in several tutorials you can find with the search function. Make your different operations different colors and it should turn out as you want.
Also, you will need a vector for your cut and score. Rasters can only be engraved.

Any raster (bitmap) image, even if it’s imbedded in an SVG file, can only be engraved.

Filled vector shapes are interpreted as engraves, also.

Vector shapes with a stroke color but no fill color will be interpreted as cuts. (You can also change them to scores in the interface.)

2 Likes

If you want to engrave and then cut out the same vector shape, you need two copies of it – one with only a fill color, and one with only a stroke color.

It’s really worth going through the “Your first three prints” tutorial, as it will make a lot of these basic things more clear for you. :slight_smile: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/first-three-prints/welcome-to-the-glowforge-app-and-your-first-prints

1 Like

The suggestions above are pointing you in the right direction. You get one separate operation per color.

So duplicate the cut line (right on top of the first one) and give the copy on top a different stroke color. That way you will get a separate Cut operation for it that you can convert to a Score. (Just on that one path.)

1 Like

Thank you that little reminder from the tutorials is what really helped!

1 Like

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!