Manual Settings

Our GF just arrived a couple days ago and I am trying to figure out the manual settings. The ‘instructions’ are elusive and I am not finding what I need in search results. For instance, if I want to cut .5 in cherry, how do I figure out what settings to use? Or perhaps I want to engrave, then what? Am I missing a handbook or something? I don’t want to be forced into only using GF supplied materials…

1 Like

You can tell it you’re using PG of a similar material and then change the settings to manual engrave/cut/score and you’ll see what the PG material settings are for a start. For instance I use PG Med Maple Ply settings for 1/8" Baltic Birch.

You can (& maybe should) run some calibration jobs. If you do a search you’ll find some that you can download and run on your material. I run cut & engrave calibrations on any new material and I keep the sample.

For engrave only materials like tile or stone I usually try highest power, highest speed and take steps downward in terms of speed until I find the right effect. Then I mark it with a sharpie and it goes in my sample stack.

For 1/2" wood you’ll need to experiment with cutting but you’ll need multiple passes - that’s one of the settings you can change. Two or three passes may be needed. It’s also possible you’ll not be able to cut it if it’s a particularly dense hardwood.

When you do find good settings log it in a little notebook or Excel or some other tool to keep track of settings. There have been a few discussions of what other people do. I and others uploaded our spreadsheets that we use if you’re looking for samples.

And you can always look here for similar projects and use their settings as a starting point.

One last thing - if using Full power, make sure you know if that’s on a basic or Pro. Those are very different power levels (about 20%). But from 0-100 the settings for both models are the same.

10 Likes

I also only received my GF a few days ago, and this information and suggestions are so helpful. Much appreciate your taking the time to share some of these details.

2 Likes

Check out the tutorials here in the forum - the “Matrix”. There’s everything from Intro to Lasers to how to design self-adjusting models using Fusion 360.

3 Likes

There’s no replacement for experimentation, but if you are lucky someone here will have already done it for you.

When you figure out good settings for a new material, please post them!

1 Like

where would I be able to find yours and others spreadsheets?

1 Like

You can do a search (I’m on an airplane or I’d look for you). There were a few threads about logbooks and Excel spreadsheets and several of us posted what we used. I’ve been lasering for years so I modified one I’ve used for other lasers. If I recall it was in the April or early May timeframe.

2 Likes