Maple Plywood Finish

Hi, I purchased some Maply Plywood from Home Depot, cut for the Glowforge. Does anyone know what finish Glowforge uses on their Maple Plywood? I have tried various types, but cannot seem to get the sheen like on the Glowforge Maple Plywood. Also, does anyone know when Glowforge might have their Maple Plywood on sale again? Thanks!

Given the volumes they make and sell their material at, it may not be something you can do at home. For example, a spray-on or flatbed printed UV cured coating.

3 Likes

In my use of ‘goofgrade’ materials from Home Depot I use Polycrylic, a water based finish, satin or gloss depending on what look you’re after. Spraying will give a much better finish than brushing.

2 Likes

Thank you for your replies!

1 Like

I often use this

You can get it really glossy if you want to. Spray, let dry, sand lightly, spray again.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

if you want it super glossy, you might need to do more coats. I would experiment with using different #s of coats and see what you like the most. You’ll need to sand at least a little bit before the last coat if you want it to be very smooth. I think you’ll like the results though - test it out! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.