Marking Slate?

Unfortunately the cheat sheet I’ve been working on since day one is null and void after the last update (not today’s, the one prior) You are going to have to experiment. In the future when you grab on off materials. Always grab two. And use the second for testing / dialing in.

8 Likes

Really? Laser? Who’d a thunk it?

Congratulations on 34 years together…that’s quite an accomplishment! :smiley:

9 Likes

We’re just getting started… :heart_eyes:

15 Likes

Luckily, I have the back to practice on, then cover my sins with cork.

18 Likes

Congrats on your 34th! :tada::confetti_ball:

5 Likes

I think I had set my tile and clam shell engraves to 25% and 30lpi or so, and it dug deep!

The vector is always nice than the raster, though…def go with vector, I say

2 Likes

Congratulations on your 34th!

3 Likes

Congrats!

3 Likes

Congratulations! Good luck with the slate. :+1:

3 Likes

If you don’t finish the slate, do what I did several years ago @dwardio.

I got my sawz-all out, put a 12 inch long blade in it that allows you to cut arcs easily and cut out a big heart shaped piece of sheet rock from the garage wall. Painted it red and gave it to my wife. She loved it.

Good luck!!!

7 Likes

LOL that is EPIC

2 Likes

I’d start low & fast and work my way higher & slower. So 5% and 335 with 340 LPI. then kick it up in 5 or 10% increments. Once I hit 100%, I’d start to drop speeds by 50 or 100 ips. Or just keep repeating passes - just don’t move it once it’s in the machine, then it will keep re-etching over the previous run. Either you’ll get to a good combo or the combined # of repetitions will do it for you.

6 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I’ll stick to the slate… :grin::innocent::sunglasses:

4 Likes

I would also start at mid to low power and a fairly fast speed.
Otherwise the slate surface may melt and leave a light brown bubbly edge that is not super attractive.

4 Likes

Thanks – definitely more interested in etching an image than creating lava. I’ll leave that for the weekend. :wink:

2 Likes

I think she liked it @nunzioc because it proved that she is more important than the garage!

(Although, I’m not sure she is more important than all the tools in the garage!) :-)))

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone! The “good enough” setting was vector engraving @ 20/335/340

She’ll be home in 10 minutes. That’s what I call JIT!

This thing is simply astounding.

36 Likes

Outstanding! It almost looks like you filled it in with gold leaf. Trick of the light?

3 Likes

Whatever you did it worked, that looks great!
Also, congratulations!

3 Likes

Looks fantastic! Enjoy the evening! :wink:

3 Likes