Mastermind Game With Rack & Pinion Box Latching Mechanism

I read this in detail and in awe when you first posted.
Today is the day I finally start in to build this baby.

First thing… Here’s my favorite part of your file: a one inch square for scale and reference and people’s computers doing wonky things.

I’m still studying the pictures before I actually start cutting… but GOOD job on the thoughtful file preparation.

5 Likes

I am really pleased with this.
Clean file. Good instructions. Thoughtful design throughout. Nice tight fingers.
This has been the very best experience I have had using someone else’s design.

I used 1/8” Baltic birch. Stained only the game board box top… before cutting.
1/8” clear acrylic for the floor of the box because the rack and pinion is so hot.

And then acrylic bits for the game pieces. You can fit those game peices on the most dead useless scraps, so this doesn’t help my hoarding used materials problem.

It was much smaller than I expected. The little pegs are TINY.
Delighted with the project. Thank you for the share. I really hope my brother likes it.
I will need a copy for myself.

8 Likes

Those all look great! If i could find someone to play with me I’d build one for myself - it looks like a lot of fun, and a great design.

1 Like

That turned out great!

1 Like

Someone is a bit obsessive about all the little details, and it shows! And I agree, the scale square should be standard practice.

2 Likes

This is absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing it. I love games and mixing that with the GF has been a lot of fun. I have an old 1970’s version of Mastermind, but this is something else. I can’t wait to try and make it.

Truly inspired work!

2 Likes

Incredible attention to detail (military background showing through). My daughter and son-in-law are both obsessed with board games. This is a must build for them. Thank you so much for sharing.

2 Likes

Just a quick pick of my prototype print. This is a really fun design and I learned a few things from it so it is a double win. I am sure I will need to print it in a different wood, but even the draft board version is fun! Thank you for sharing!

The inch reference in the design was genius. Simple for the pros out there, but for a rookie like me, a really nice touch.

6 Likes

May I ask where you bought you thick acrylic?

I’m not @cmreeder, but I used PG thick acrylic for mine. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for showing the original box. Now I remember having this as a kid!

2 Likes

I probably got it from Delvie’s; but proofgrade is good. Delvie’s has online presence but is local so I frequent their scrap bins.

1 Like

Is the file still available? I dont see the link.

Welcome to the forum.
The file is in the original post (it looks like a line drawing). Right click and save as svg.

got it thank you

1 Like

Wow amazing

1 Like

Just as an FYI, if you increase your living hinge to something like 6-8 count vs your current 4, not only would it not be so stretchy, but it wouldn’t be as sensitive to the grain on the wood :wink:

2 Likes

I used this lid design to make a box for search for planet x recently. Scaled it up a bit though :). I made a whole search for planet x game with the glowforge that fits inside the box. Kind of fun :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Photos, we need photos!!!

2 Likes