Matcha Tea Station Caddy

So I recently I decided I liked Matcha. (Took a while, it’s pretty sucky with milk as a latte, or straight up, but with a little lemon or lime and sweetener, it totally rocks. I love the no-jitter energy boost, anti-oxidants, etc., etc…) :grinning:

What I don’t like is chasing bright green powder all over the counter, and the little ziploc bag with the tea, and the whisk and the scoop and all the other paraphernalia required.

So I decided to make a little caddy for a tin to hold the tea, and included a couple of slots for the tools, and I’m more or less happy with how it turned out, so I’ll show it.

IMG_5485

This was with Proofgrade medium basswood ply and a padauk lining. You can’t really see the padauk unless you look directly at it, but I wanted that little pop of red with the white. (And something with a slightly oriental flavor.)

IMG_5473

*By the way, don’t ever take a seller’s word for the actual measurements on a container or tool that you purchase…they are either drunk, don’t care, or have no idea how to measure anything. (31mm is not an inch.) :roll_eyes: :smile:

Anyway, it works, and it’s much neater to have a little “Matcha Tea Station” for it.

I did actually try something different with this, but it wasn’t laser related, it was clamp related.
You all know the saying…"You can never have too many clamps."

I worked out something REALLY cheap for clamping two sheets together while gluing that I thought I’d share:

33 Likes

wow fount of awesome tricks as always @jules!

3 Likes

Very cool tea station caddy, Jules, but I think I’m even more impressed by the decorative keyboard stand in the background. Do you have a link to THAT project? I’d love to see the details on that too!

And love what you’ve done with the bobby pins!

4 Likes

Thanks! (The bobby pins were actually attempt number four…I tried various hair clips and paper clips first, but they all marked the wood. These don’t, but they’re strong enough to fight off a little warp.) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yep, that was an earlier project…

2 Likes

Very cool Jules! And your clamping method is very resourceful :sunglasses:
I like The metal binder clips.

3 Likes

Tried those too, but they were a little too strong for the plywood, and causing dents and scratches. (Also didn’t have as many on hand.)

2 Likes

Oooooo, love that peek of padauk through the pattern. Love the pattern too!

Another clamp alternative is silk clamps—they are very gentle:

9 Likes

Ahhhhhh! Never knew what those were called…they look like they would be just right and they’re coated. (Amazon, here I come.) :grinning::+1:

1 Like

Sorry, shoulda linked. I couldn’t find them on Amazon. I got mine from Dharma (lots of other cool stuff there as well. You’re welcome).

5 Likes

Walmart, Michaels & Hobby Lobby all have them too if you don’t want to wait for Amazon shipping :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I haven’t been into a Hobby Lobby since the Glowforge arrived. :smile:
(Which is a good thing…I can never get out of there for under $200.)

3 Likes

Found them under a different name (and a lot cheaper) at Amazon:

Couldn’t find them on Michaels.com but maybe I didn’t have the right search terms.

5 Likes

Perfect timing! (Hadn’t hit BUY yet!) :smile:

3 Likes

What’s with those rubber gloves? :grin:

3 Likes

Happy CakeDay! :grinning: :firecracker: :sparkles: :balloon: :tada: :confetti_ball: :tanabata_tree:

I was gluing with DAP RapidFuse. And they ain’t just kiddin’ when they say “rapid”. :laughing:

3 Likes

Happy CakeDay @davidgal2!

3 Likes

Thank you, I didn’t realize it had been another year. :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you.

Another wonderful, useful and beautiful item for the kitchen from one of our greatest designers! @Jules

2 Likes