Matching up cuts on the pass through slot - making a RC airplane

Post one, wait for it to load, then post the next one. Repeat.

That was a great write up and a genious way to align the two halves! So far i’ve only cut a replacement fuse for an ft mini speedster, but rc planes are definitely on my list!

Tried it again and got “Sorry, new users can only put one image in a post.” I might just ask support to lift my restriction, I have a bunch I want to post but its a pain with the limit.

1 Like

See, this is the kind of thing that makes me so glad I upgraded to Pro way back in 2016. I just know I would have been sooooo envious, seeing this.

Finaly got around to cutting out the rest. turned out great.

17 Likes

Very sharp! :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s really cool. You’ve got some skills and dedication. I’m going to have to wait until the software can do all the work for me.

Here are all the parts before I put it together.

4 Likes

This is great!

This is awesome! Would you mind explaining your thought process on how you accomplished the passthrough alignment? I am trying to wrap my mind around your steps, and can’t seem to visualize it. It seems like such a great idea and I want to try it out!

I still cant post multiple pictures per post so i will do this in a few posts. Hopefully this clears things up a bit. Say you want to cut something BIG on a 20"x20" piece of material.

The white area is the glowforge max cut area.

1 Like

first you need to define areas the cut size that overlap.

somwhere in the overlap area is where you will add your alignment markers.

1 Like

and then you will slice your design at the top of the bottom cut area.

1 Like

make sure that you copied the markers for this new separate piece so that it stays in the same relative location.

3 Likes

IF your passthrough slot is excessable from both sides you can stop here and get ready to cut (i can only access my front passthrough slot.
you would then proceed cut your top half of the pattern, having it cut out the red markers.
then you would remove your material and I would stick a strip of painters tape along the back of the glowforge tray near where the max cut area would be. Then load up your second pattern, have it ignore all parts EXCEPT for the markers. Have it Etch/engrave the markers in the painters tape. Then you put your material back in and slide it through until the markers line up. once the holes from your first cut and the markers on the tape match up… you can run your second cut job and they will match.

5 Likes

For me I had to take my material out and turn it around before putting it back in, because I can not pass all the way though. In that case I have my second pattern rotated 180 degree, put my painters tape/markers at the front of the glowforge and turned my material around before putting it back in and matching it up

4 Likes

This is how I make my jigsaw puzzles, pretty much. You might really appreciate the AI plugin I mention in this post:

It has a table saw tool which is amazing for splitting designs like this. I put a video in the linked post that shows how it works.

And if you are using sheets of material that run to the edge, look in the Free Laser Designs category. I posted a design for crumb tray rulers a few days ago. Just line your material up to the correct spot on the ruler and you’re good.

5 Likes

This is awesome. Maybe once waranty runs out I’ll have to cut the bottom out of my basic machine… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great Post, thanks

1 Like

Brilliant! Just what I’ve been looking for!!