Material thickness issues

Thank you for your patience while we looked into this.

After we shared the logs from your unit with our team, based on what we found after further investigation, we’ve made a change on our end. Will you please re-start your Glowforge, log back into the app and try a print with your material? Please let us know how it goes, and if the trouble with the error has resolved.

Alright, so I did a wood veneer walnut and it cut great. Now I’m trying another material and nothing. I just put the piece of acrylic back in the machine and now its cutting.

Hello, same problem here, my GF warned me with this message

“Your material must be less than 0.5” tall with the tray in, or between 1.5” and 2” with the tray out.”

I’m trying to cut 0.1 mm thick paper as I did hundreds of times in the past year. In the last few days all I’m able to cut is 3mm thick MDF wood with no problem. I cleaned all the lenses and unplugged - re plugged everything.

Refreshing bed image and setting focus manually solves the problem once, but as I try to cut another file, the problems comes out once again.

1 Like

You will probably want to start your own thread in the Problems and Support section. Glowforge support personnel address issues individually, so you may get overlooked.

1 Like

You lose the manual set focus when you open the lid; it has to be redone with each job. :slight_smile:

Yeah, sounds exactly like mine. It was working just fine and then boom just started doing this for absolutely no reason. Dont know if their update had something to do with these errors. As for mine, even the focus wont make it work if it doesnt have the medium acrylic underneath it.

Anything yet? I’m losing a lot of time over here :sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:

I opened a ticket sending an email to the support, still waiting for the response. I will forward their reply here as soon as I get one :slight_smile:

Sweet. Thanks!

Thank you for working through those steps. I’ve extracted the logs from your Glowforge to review your most recent prints. It appears the trouble is occurring when utilizing Non-Proofgrade material, but not when using Proofgrade material. I also noticed that autofocusing was still utilized when you ran into trouble with thinner material.

Does the same error occur if you utilize Set Focus on the material before printing? Let us know how it goes!

So, what you’re seeing with proofgrade materials is because I have to use the proofgrade acrylic underneath it so it’s reading that material. When I want to use the walnuts veneer proofgrade or any other veneer proofgrade by itself without the acrylic, it still wont work. I can get it to focus on non proofgrade material as well as long as it is over the acrylic. The set focus wont work unless it has the acrylic underneath. So nothing will work unless it has the thickness of the acrylic underneath. It continues to give the material thickness error.

1 Like

Thank you for your detailed reply. I have extracted the logs from your Glowforge and have made a small change on our end.

Could you please try a test print and let us know if you are still seeing the error message?

Still doesnt work. Why did you guys have to do an update to something that was working perfectly fine? Why? You guys messed with the focus and now my laser wont focus properly and I have been unable to really use it and during this time where little to no money is coming in, you guys really screwed up.

I’m so sorry for the continued trouble.

I’m looking into it now. As soon as I have more information I’ll update this thread.

Sorry again for the trouble.

We believe we have fixed the issue.

Please give it another try when you have a chance.

Since we’re corresponding via email, I’m going to close this topic.