Material will not measure when trying to Set Focus

I’ve been fighting with my glowforge since this morning. It will not “Set Focus”. Every time I try to manually set focus, I get the error message “Material didn’t measure.” This happens with acrylic, 1/8 and 1/4 MDF. No material will measure. The crumb tray is in. All lenses and the mirror have been cleaned. The removable lens in correctly (not backwards). I’ve tried to recalibrate, but I’ve run it twice, and both times it says the process was interrupted and could not finish. My computer never left the screen and my internet never went out. I’ve tried experimenting with raising the material by placing scrap material underneath. I can sometimes get the material to measure with a scrap 1/4 MDF underneath. Ridiculous. Can anyone help?

I can’t offer any help but when you do get it solved (and you will) please post the solution to help others.

Absolutely. I assume you’re having the same issue? I put a ticket in with support, so hopefully they’ll get back to me ASAP. I did see in one thread that there was an update that needed to be made on one owner’s specific machine… Hopefully that’s the fix I need. I really don’t want to have to replace my machine already

No issues here but like many others I read a lot of these posts and for the most part most people go silent as soon as their problem is solved.
Just out of curiosity have you watched to see where the red dot hits your work piece when you choose set focus?

1 Like

Yep. I see the red dot hitting right where I tell it to. It stalls on “focusing” then gives me the “Material didn’t measure” error. If glowforge support turns off commenting on my thread before I’m able to state the official diagnosis, I’ll make another post for informational purposes.

1 Like

Do you have a screen shot of your app? Knowing if the material has masking and how big the area is that you are trying to focus on would help. When you use the set focus feature, the bed has not yet updated with the fisheye lens interpretation of the bed.

Hi @gorejesslaboratory
My name is Mercedes and I’m part of the Technical team here at Glowforge.

It looks like we are solving this already for you in another email ticket so I’m going to go ahead and close this forum post for now! If you have any other questions or need help with anything else feel free to send a message our way by either creating an email ticket or a new forum post!