Medieval (SCA) Family Tree

I keep on being reminded of projects I never got around to posting! This one the recipient has access to these forums (though I honestly don’t think he’s ever logged on) but just in case I didn’t want to post until he’d received it.

Probably more details than you need

I belong to a medieval recreation group called the SCA. We were celebrating our friend’s 30th anniversary of being Knighted. This family tree has him in the center, with his squires, former squires, and guard-at-arms above him in the branches, and his Knight, his squire-brother, and his Knight’s Knight in the roots.

The full thing was cut out of PG ply. There is a layer of green fabric sandwiched between two layers of the outside edge, and the shields are held on with sticky-back velcro (in case things change in the future!)
In the picture it’s being held up by this stand (it worked really well - I’ve made a few of these)

The full shield is 18.69" across and 18.67" high - so close to square :slight_smile:

What it looked like prior to painting (with acrylic goauche). This was actually a test piece, when I did the final I scored the art instead of engraving it - because the score lines trap the paint better

In case anyone wants to give it a shot: Medieval Family Tree.zip (947.2 KB) I have a Basic, so it includes a way to cut it in 2 pieces and then assemble after

30 Likes

This is great! I love all things medieval…so a treat to see this. Nice work!

3 Likes

Thank you for the file.

4 Likes

This looks wonderful! Thanks for the share as well.

2 Likes

Curious as to the connections, Is that a knights tree? It would be also a cool thing to trace the evolution of the kingdoms.

1 Like

Nice work, bet he was thrilled! Thank you for sharing the file.

2 Likes

Yeah - there are more specifics under the “Probably more details than you need” arrow

A Kingdom family tree would definitely be fun. No roots there, you’d have to start with Berkeley as the trunk :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel like this is a total gimmie but - Have you heard about the SCA?

I guarantee there’s a group in your area. You’d be part of the Kingdom of Antir in the Principality of the Summits :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There are many roots to the SCA from King Arthur and Camelot to the somewhat obscure attempt to bring back the Victorian fantasy and being the “Last Tournament” that the event that was five years in the planning was washed out by a huge storm. Much of that Victorian fantasy side of things has been lost much to the detriment of the ideals, and little understood these days the pure goal of an alternative lifestyle devoid of modern horrors that has many non-Medieval roots that were churning like a mountain stream at that time.

By comparison the actual Medieval period was pretty horrid sunk in ignorance and every sort of bigotry all very opposite of the early SCA.

1 Like

No argument there :slight_smile:

She’s a witch! Burn her!

3 Likes

She turned me into a newt!

4 Likes

I got better.

1 Like

I have moved from “Burn her” to “:glowforge: burns everything” and now I’m thinking we’ve somehow gone backwards in time :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No…I’ve never heard of it. I am curious and will check it out. Thanks! :smiley:

2 Likes

What a super cool piece! The Velcro is a genius idea, and your painting is marvelous. Thanks for the file!

I think at one time the SCA was a large portion of the entire web though the entire web was very much smaller at the time. However there is still a sizable presence that you might find very interesting.

1 Like

Outstanding piece! I’m the president of the Clan Donnachaidh Society of the Gulf Coast, and just returned from Scotland where I was doing some genealogy work… This gives me so many ideas. Thanks for the share, you’re awesome!

2 Likes