Mermaid box

Made this as a gift for my sister.

Update: finally gave it to her for Christmas, she liked it. :slight_smile:

46 Likes

I love all your curvy walls. <3

5 Likes

Wow

The natural fade of the wood on the lid gives it a depth like she’s floating above sand

6 Likes

Those sea horses…!

5 Likes

Love the tie in with the inside lining. There’s a very lucky mermaid fan out there…

7 Likes

Yeah that’s a pretty interesting piece of walnut I scored from Kim Oberlin.

Kind of like these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-THIN-WALNUT-BOARDS-1-8-thick-luthier-wood-crafts-veneer-inlay-scrollsaw/254556571114

3 Likes

I sent my sister a mandala… this one to be exact. She sent me a thank you card that was covered in a mermaid pattern. I was like “what can I do with this cool card?” and so I went a made a box to line with a cutout from the card.

12 Likes

one of these days you’ll figure this “box” thing out.

9 Likes

It’s always a treat to see your outstanding inlays—thanks!

4 Likes

So cool! It’s always neat to see different construction ideas for boxes.

2 Likes

Oh I forgot to mention: The lid has an inner piece that fits into the box, like you’d expect… but it’s also not oval-shaped, it has a weird profile so the lid can be rotated and disengage the magnets.

The magnets aren’t aligned on the center, they run in a line that is lower left to upper right. A slight twist of the lid will move the magnets out of alignment so it can be opened easily.

6 Likes

Your sister is going to be so pleasantly surprised!

4 Likes

Really a well done piece.

3 Likes

HAHAHA! Box looks great, but dang it, I laughed way too hard at the Wonderwall comment lol

4 Likes

Kerf perfection. Awesome.

2 Likes

Always love your stuff. You inspire me!

Your curved cuts make me think of my tear drop trailer and the pieces of poplar I need to cut for redoing on the outside due to weather / water damage. I hadn’t thought to stack them for thickness, I was just cutting 1/4" thick pieces burning the cut twice. But if I stack 1/8" thick pieces and offset them, I could get 1 continuous piece to wrap the edge.

3 Likes

It looks amazing. I love the reuse of the card. Your work is always inspirational.

3 Likes

Kerfection?

8 Likes

I remember that board game. How close could I place things to the edge of a board before it hit me.

1 Like