Merry Christmas! Nativity Ornament

What a lovely ornament!!! Thank you so much for sharing your file! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

1 Like

So, I edited this file a little more to my liking. I took the suggestion of adding Dan’s serrated tabs, and I shrunk the whole thing. Here it is in my hand, cut out of proofgrade maple plywood.

Those tabs make for an extremely tight fit!! Dan wasn’t kidding when he said to bash it into place!
nativity ornament resized.svg.zip (13.9 KB)
I also nested them all angled because I didn’t care that the grain of wood would run differently for each piece, but you might.

Oops, I deleted my question about how to upload an svg, that Jules answered below. Thanks Jules!! I don’t post much in here, and realized me deleting my question made her answer look out of place.

17 Likes

Zip the file first or Discourse (the forum software) will cause it to shrink.

4 Likes

“Honey, I shrunk the nativity”

9 Likes

Quite allright…everyone thinks I’m crazy anyway. :smile:

5 Likes

This ornament, in it’s original size, must be huge. I also resized it and even now, it’s pretty big. I made a ‘test’ run using PG draft board and it snapped tightly together with no serrated tabs…no glue. I guess I got lucky. Resizing though, DID make all the figures in closer proximity to one another on the horizontal plane, so each one is a bit more difficult to see in its entirety.

2 Likes

:laughing:

Thanks for doing this, @shronimo, I was planning to try a smaller version, but all the other Christmas stuff I’m trying to get done got in the way of it!

5 Likes

It’s about 5" across. I thought it was too big, but my daughter loved it, and the first one was for her, so it ended up staying that size. :wink:

2 Likes

I shrunk it DOWN to about 5". I realized that your design measurements were in centimeters, but poor math person that I am, I had a tough time figuring out how to transpose that, so I just selected all the parts and shrunk it. As is in your original SVG, it was enormous. I know for sure there was a way around what I did, but I didn’t have the patience or presence of mind to deal with it. I engraved my grandson’s name and the year across the bottom and I think he’ll love it. Thank you, again!

2 Likes

Thank you @geek2nurse (and @shronimo) for the design files! Had to try this out for myself.

Used PG medium draftboard for this test build with @shronimo’s SVG file as a starting point. I engraved “Christmas 2018” on both sides by first engraving the text and then cutting out and flipping the the ornament’s “outer ring” before engraving the text on the backside and then cutting everything else out.

My version of the ~3-inch SVG provided below… :sunglasses:

nativity_ornament_resized.svg.zip (14.3 KB)

7 Likes

I thought that looked smaller than mine. For anyone wondering, the version I posted is about 3 1/2".

2 Likes

Thank you @geek2nurse & @lightner for the great Ornament design , it is so PERFECT that I decided to cut out 5 of them (one for me, Mom, Sister, Aunt & Next door Neighbor).

I really appreciate you sharing the design with the Forum, may you have a Blessed Christmas & Happy New Year!
Cheers’
Alex

14 Likes

Love the glittery stars! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yes, extra points for the glitter.

5 Likes

Cool… thanks for the pattern

2 Likes

Thanks for the fantastic pattern! Merry Christmas!

2 Likes

Thank you is beautiful

2 Likes

Beautiful and thank you for the files :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, thank you!

2 Likes

Fantastic design. Thanks for contributing!

2 Likes