Metal Strip Needed For Magnets

I’m making badges and I want them to be magnetic. What I’d like to do, however, is to embed a thin strip of metal into my wood. This metal would be the same as… you ever see the thin metal strips that come with magnetic cellphone mounts? The metal’s supposed to be inserted into your battery cover. Ya know what I’m talkin’ about? Basically, I want that. It’s so thin you can cut it with scissors, but magnets stick solidly to them. I’m finding it difficult to search for such a thing because of the generic wording I’m coming up with.

Suggestions?

maybe something like this? 0.007" thick stainless steel strips… https://www.mcmaster.com/#1421t151/=1ahbnuq

Edit: For those not yet reading the below posts, this isn’t ferrous metal, so not actually magnetic. Though mcmaster does have ferrous metals as well. Thanks for pointing out my mistake folks.

3 Likes

Name badge magnetic clip pairs

5 Likes

You may have to use shears or snips instead of scissors, but there should be plenty of cheap sheets of metal out there.

1 Like

Or if you’re bringing your own magnets to the party then would small diameter thin washers work?

3 Likes

you can search for shim stock. Mcmaster is a great resource as others have posted.

Fast shipping and they have almost everything. The only downside is you won’t know shipping costs until after you purchase.

Edit: second @dwardio’s comment about stainless.

1 Like

304 & 316 stainless steel (like the McMaster link) are essentially non-magnetic, btw.

3 Likes

Oh! That does look nice! Thanks for the find!

Duh! Why didn’t I think of that search! That’s just about perfect! Thanks!

YES! Yes they would! And that’s a super-cheap solution! MAN, I think I over-complicated this job!

Oh, interesting. Thanks for the info!

Thanks, all! I think I’m going to prototype with @E.H’s washer idea, and also order those clips!

Thanks again, all!

7 Likes

Stainless is not magnetic. (unless some cheap ‘sort of’ stainless)

What @E.H pointed to looks spot on though. Name tags held on without putting holes into cloth. Good idea.

2 Likes

I got a badge at a conference recently that used these - very classy! The ‘snap’ as the magnets connect to the metal strip in the badge is very satisfying, and no holes in your suit. Looks a lot nicer than a lanyard, too.

There are non-magnetic stainless steels, and there are magnetic stainless steels. Just depends on the composition. My stainless pots and pans work just fine on my induction cooktop.

Something like this perhaps? Coated steel self adhesive tape.

Very different process on your cooktop. Any conductive material will work. Aluminum works great.

Inductive cooking works by using an effect called Eddy Currents induced in the metal by an oscillating magnetic field.

Any time a conductor moves through a magnetic field, or a magnetic field moves through a conductor, it induces current flow in the conductor. In a flat piece of metal, this causes the current to flow in a circle. The current flowing is impeded by the resistance of the metal, causing heat.

2 Likes

Hum, seems to me that the Wikipedia article that you linked to clearly states:

For nearly all models of induction cooktops, a cooking vessel must be made of, or contain, a ferromagnetic metal such as cast iron or some stainless steels.

It’s not just about eddy currents. Aluminum and most stainless steels do not work on induction hobs. Neither does copper unfortunately.

Panasonic has sold “All Metal” induction cooktops in Japan for seven or eight years now. They simply have to drive the magnetic field at a higher frequency. It’s less efficient than ferrous pans (around 75% for aluminum or copper, vs. 90% for steel) but it works.

Besides being less efficient, other downsides include the cost (they’re much more expensive, and inductive cooktops are already more expensive than other kinds of stoves) as well as a tendency for lightweight pans to levitate(!!!) when used on it, which can be problematic as it makes it much easier to knock them off the stove.

As far as I know they’ve not tried to sell them outside of Japan.

Thanks! I did include the ‘for nearly all models of induction cooktops’, but should have also shaded my comments below that to reflect that. But I would think the efficiency would be much less for Al or Cu, since on my induction they don’t heat up at all. Or maybe I never did the experiment right due to bias. Or maybe the sensor that checks for use of a proper pan kicks in. Hum, guess what I’m going to try out on my 3.5 KW stovetop later today.

1 Like

And OFF we go into the weeds, never to be heard from again.

Happens a lot here heh heh.
Sometimes more is learned off the road than following the initial OP though.

Anyway, @Tom_A found his answer and I found a cool magnetic name tag link to bookmark, so, It’s All Good

6 Likes