Micro 3d Printer

The tech concept seems legit. Everyone else is doing bottom up printing, which is where the time consumption comes into play. This is the same process as SLS printers are using except the material starts as a liquid instead of a powder. Im surprised it has taken this long for them to get one of these out, which makes me curious as to where they are running into issues.

I asked @mad_macs about the Micro 3D printer when I first heard about it. He has done some 3D printing for me in the past. He doesnā€™t have experience with this model but said another friend has one and hasnā€™t been very happy with it.

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: Yeah I think the general consensus is turning toward "the value isnā€™t there"
If something doesnā€™t work the way you want or need it to, even a low price is too high

hint hint @dan
jkjk I have a good feeling about whatā€™s going to come out of those Glow-rious Halls

Forged by man, Forged by laser

1 Like

Just ran across the Amazon Deal of the Day that may be of interest to a few of yā€™all:

ROBO 3D R1 Plus Fully Assembled 3D Printer, 8" x 9" x 10" Maximum Build Dimensions, 100 Micron Maximum Resolution, 1.75-mm ABS, PLA, T-Glase, Laywood, HIPS, and Flexible Filament https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0142PHFVU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_81V8wb3CRH5AG

Apparently Amazon bought Autodesk :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

If youā€™re in the market for a 3D printer, definitely check out the December issue of Make magazineā€“it has a very large section of reviews that has really, really good info on various printers, including the quality in various axes, speed, etc.
__

2 Likes

This looks interestingā€¦lol Gotta love stuff from China
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Automatic-Desktop-3d-printer-large/32261046955.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.8.pJEW5o&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2,searchweb201602_4_10036_10035_10034_507_10032_10020_10001_10002_10017_10010_10005_10011_10006_10003_10021_10004_10022_10009_401_10008_10018_10019,searchweb201603_7&btsid=9d0364a7-b84d-421c-a749-1f0a30896dea

2 Likes

I do love stuff from china - Iā€™d be willing to try it out. at the very least it looks like I could reverse engineer it and print up two or three copies of itself. For half the cost of the other one, it might be worth fighting with :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t bet against it eventually happening. Google used to own sketchup (now owned by Trimble Navigation - they do laser scanning and point clouds and stuff like that)

Iā€™ve got one of the Micro 3D printers, and as others have mentioned, it has some issues. Itā€™s pretty slow for one thing, and the print quality is so-so. I had to send my first one back because it had some mechanical problems. To be honest, though, the main reason Iā€™ve stopped using it is the software. For example, the last version I used would randomly shift the print anywhere from 1/16" to 1/4", usually when it was almost through printing (or at least it seemed that way to me. :slight_smile: ). Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll fire it up at some point in the future to see if theyā€™ve overcome these types of issues.

Itā€™s kind of funny, though. M3D was essentially trying to do the same thing that Glowforge is doing ā€“ take a machine normally only usable by engineering types and make it user-friendly enough to sell at Target (so to speak). Hopefully Glowforge will have more success than M3D.

1 Like

Arrrrgh! Youā€™re killing me!

I was debating getting a 3D printer while waiting for the 'forge and was considering a delta. That price is incredibly tempting, and the build quality on it looks solid. But not having looked at all the 3D printers in ultrafine detail, maybe Iā€™m just too optimistic.

2 Likes

I own a M3D Micro 3D printer, and have only used it a couple times. It is one of four that I currently own, and I have built and fixed dozens of different 3day printers. It is by far my least favorite. The only way to make it somewhat worthwhile is to use a 3rd party slicer, but that voids the warranty immediately. Not a fan of its design either. Another thing to note about Carbon 3D is that they are only producing commercial 3D printers for large companies. You wonā€™t see one of their 3D printers in a home anytime soon. They will need to change their business model however, because there are many competing companies coming out with printers of similar speed at a fraction of the cost.

I should note that I only payed $200 for the micro. There are much better open source printers that are in the same price range of what the M3D Micro costs now.

1 Like

A filament compartment under the unit looks dodgy - what if you run out halfway through a print?

1 Like

didnā€™t think of that either

ā€œFlip her over, the print will be okā€

2 Likes

I donā€™t know about the M3D, but I have a Fabrikator Mini from Hobbyking and I love it. Its small, 80mm x 80mm, but it a fun little play around printer. I also have a Wanhao i3 and thats a great little sub $500 printer.

You could always pick up an OLO 3d printer. Prints from your phone lol:

1 Like

OK, that is pretty cool. Imma figure out how to make one.

Would love to see what happens to the 3D print if a call comes in half way through!

3 Likes

Hahahahaha! I didnā€™t think about that. Oh man

1 Like