Micro 3d Printer

I was just about to say that - even worse, you receive a sext!
(Not that I know what that is!)

4 Likes

most awkward 3d print ever :wink:

1 Like

I was just looking at that on their page - and it would be highly likely too - site says about 2hrs per in of height (I believe how it works is that it cures the resin in whole layers at a time) I don’t know anyone besides me that would be able to live without their phone for 2hr periods at a time (although it would make a great excuse for being unavailable - I’m 3d printing a keychain…leave me alone)

1 Like

I happily go days without my phone.

2 Likes

I just shut mine off, cause I can’t take the social responsibilities that are attached to it :wink:
I’m serious about shutting it off though

1 Like

I am quite happy with my Monoprice dual extruder. One of the best things about it is that there are few proprietary parts, and it’s easy to fix.

1 Like

I’ve owned a Micro M3D for nearly a year and there’s a bit to learn if you’ve never 3D printed before; materials, settings, software and hardware troubleshooting…it’s a product that requires lots of trial and error and resourcefulness. I learned and documented best practices for my own desired results (painter’s tape on the print bed, thin layer of glue stick, etc.) and that for some things with tight tolerances it’s not up to par, but then again it’s what you pay for. If you want to print an item as utilitarian as a switch, a higher-quality print is required (PLA is easier to print on the M3D but ABS is more durable) and moving parts adds another layer of difficulty. Perhaps consider printing with Shapeways, their printing quality has always been good and affordable—I love printing in metal!
On the M3D I’ve successfully designed and printed keychains, cookie cutters, dog tags, and this little guy below:

The M3D is fun for hobbies and suits my needs, but don’t expect too much from it.

4 Likes

I can highly recommend the MakerGear M2 if you are looking for a 3D printer.

Got mine just under a year ago, (completely new to 3D printing), and with a bit of learning on my part - it puts out fantastic prints in any kind of filament. And the latest machines are even easier for beginners to use - the M2 V4 Rev.E version. (Shipping since 03/01/2016, but they still just call it an M2.)

Practically no work now to set up the initial level, which it holds for months at a time. no more “Setting the Z-Stop” which was something that no-one really liked, although it wasn’t particularly difficult. The only thing left for beginners now is learning the various quirks about the different kinds of plastic, how to print them, and what they are good for.

I doubt there’s an easier to use printer out there. It just doesn’t have the problems that other printers do with keeping it’s level and prints shifting so that they are ruined.

If you’re lucky, you might find an older model, which can be upgraded through MakerGear to match the latest and greatest, but you’ll still pay well over $1000 for even the old models. They’re just that good.

MakerGear is absolutely terrible about advertising all the things their printer can do - but now is a good time to get one if you are new to 3D printing. They have really simplified it. (They also have a Dual upgrade now, for two-color printing.)

Few pics of stuff I designed and printed with it:

Lace Egg (Also makes a cool night-light on a lighted base.)

Some Battery Storage Boxes

Some little storage Barrels (the one on the right is printed with wood filament)

Some little individual Salt Pig salt cellars for the table

Birthday Cake Train for a child’s party (Thought it would look cool circling the cake.)

Anyway…that sort of thing. It’s a great printer. :grin:

13 Likes

Love the 3d works! the lace egg is my favorite :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks! Planning to rework that one in wood when the forge arrives! :smiley:

1 Like

That egg… would be one of the coolest night lights!
The detail on those prints look perfect.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

1 Like

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

It’s a fun machine…(I’m sure the GF will be as well!)

5 Likes

Sooo cool!!

Why yes… yes I do want to revive this topic Discourse message:

Just saw this pop up on face book for 300$ Would anyone consider it worthwhile(get what you pay for) at that cost?

3 Likes

Ask and ye shall receive…

@Dan Glowforge please? :smiley:

edit: bwawahaha… and with that delete, it looks like i’m talking to myslef. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No reason why it wouldn’t be a good one to get your feet wet with if you wanted to try out 3D printing. :relaxed:

(not going to be as easy to use as the more expensive ones, but might be a good first printer so you can see if you like 3D printing)

I have their first model (from their Kickstarter) and it was ok. The main issue was with their software, but to be honest they may have fixed that by now. I haven’t used that printer for several months.

I agree with @Jules — not a bad price for an entry-level unit.

The one on sale doesn’t have a heated bed, so realistically you’re going to be limited to PLA (technically possible to print ABS, but 'taint gonna be easy!).

On the plus side, there’s doesn’t seem to be any DRM for the filament/spool. If you use other brands, the spool won’t fit in the base (but should apparently still work).

Btw, the build size is tiny and oddly stepped vertically:

1 Like

Here’s one that is cheaper, but definitely for a reason:

I’m not recommending it. I haven’t even gotten mine yet. It was a Kickstarter. Then a Indiegogo. Now on their own site, it seems. They started the Indiegogo before the Kikstarter was over. As far as I can figure, they sent out 2000 units so far out of maybe 6000 or more. They are also not shipping in any order as far as anyone can figure out. Watched the Kickstarter page for an update. Finally found out that they were currently updating on Indiegogo only. They mentioned a non-specific factory delay.

They seemed to take the opposite approach from Glowforge. They said they’d start shipping in October, so on Halloween they posted a picture of stacks of boxes sitting somewhere and said, “Hey, we met our goal and shipped in October!” That is, they started shipping then.

The lucky (or maybe unlucky) first recipients have been posting all of their problems on a Facebook group, Yahoo! group, and a couple of forums that have popped up. People are receiving units DOA or that have one or two broken motors out of the box. People that are printing things are getting some interesting results. There’s also a lot of trying to help each other out. No help from the official 101hero folks, though. Some users have renamed them 101villain. There is no sort of warranty, either, of course. I’m hoping 1800 reasonably functional units went out and all of the stuff I’m seeing is from 200 bad units and that that percentage improves by the time they send mine out. Thanks for not taking that route, Glowforge. :relaxed:

I know that 2 months late isn’t actually that bad for a Kickstarter, but I’ve tried contacting them for some sort of status update to no avail. I didn’t expect even “hobby” level prints when I ordered it. I expected the quality of this thing to be more at the “toy” level. Could end up being at the “parts” level in the end.

3 Likes

It’s interesting that that one (101hero) sells a pre-assembled model with the following statement:
“Pre-assembled Kit
In order to saving the cost of shipping, so you would get the 90% Finished Pre-assembled Kits of 101HERO Pylon 3D Printer. And you just need 5 minutes to turn a few screws, then it could work.”

Could work?? could ? Wouldn’t you want one that Would work??? :neutral_face:

4 Likes