Micro SD Card Wallet

Here’s a simple design I whipped up to scratch an itch. I have a couple of drones I like to fly that require SD cards, and some cameras. I thought it’d be nice to have a little wallet to carry them in. I made two, one for empties and one for fulls.

Here’s the design:

SD Card Wallet.pdf (341.1 KB)

And here’s the end product:

I machine stitched it, but the design has stitch holes that can be cut if you prefer. (I engraved them so I could see where I wanted to stitch, or you can set them to ignored easily enough. I did not include the hole for the button snap. So if you want that, you either need to add it yourself, or use a hole punch.

Fun fact: I worked for a tech startup from 1999-2003ish, and back then, we bought a terabyte disk array to store everything for all our employees. That disk array cost us $30,000, and was the size of a refrigerator.

In this photo, each of those SD cards is 256GB… so I can now carry that same terabyte of disk space in my pocket, and it cost about $100.

75 Likes

Very nice practical cut. Thank you.

8 Likes

I like that…I’ve got about a bajillion of those things floating around in the desk. :smile:

8 Likes

Great idea and share!

4 Likes

Thank you! Very nice.

4 Likes

This is great! I have several SD cards sitting in a couple drawers. It would be nice to have them all together. Thanks for the share!

3 Likes

Things have certainly come a long way…

13 Likes

I used to have a disc from (I think) a 1MB stack for a Vax mainframe. Left it behind when I moved here, now wish I still had it to make a clock from.

4 Likes

They certainly have. I remember learning IBM Keypunch in high school, and when I graduated, I was asked to work at the School District Office. After I started there, the guy in charge of the computer room asked me to work back there. I told him no, I didn’t want to have to wear a heavy sweater all day every day. The computer looked like the one on the movie WarGames - it was 20ft long, 4ft high, and the room was kept around 60 degrees. It’s amazing how quickly technology is still changing. I certainly didn’t know SD micro cards came in 1TB! Guess cause I haven’t looked lately.

6 Likes

Back in 1984 I had an Apple 10mb hard drive that was the size of a standard 2 drawer file cabinet laying in its side.

When I got a PC-XT I was gobsmacked with the size difference.

Now I just expect to have terabytes available in ever decreasing form factors. But Micro-SDs of that size are too small for practicality for what I do. I’d either never find what I was looking for or it’s too many files on a single easy to lose repository.

5 Likes

Yeah I don’t like micro SD. Way too easy to misplace.

4 Likes

Vey nice Thanks

2 Likes

Quite useful in stick up security home cameras. It’ll never run out of recording room.(or at least possibly outlast the camera before it’s filled) I think last I saw 32gb could go about a month of 1080p, motion activated, 30sec clips, for a dozen or so times a day.

I used to know the math for vid res x time =mb/gb space….

1 Like

Necessary evil.

Every dashcam I’ve installed uses them. Well over a dozen now.

Several years ago Target cleared out their (Sandisk?) 64GB cards for something stupid like $5/ea. I took advantage of that. I think I still have some new ones around somewhere.

4 Likes

Lovely design, I added the laser cut stitch holes, hope you like it.

sdcardwalletfullmonty.pdf (376.6 KB)

11 Likes

Well I’ve really only ever lost one and that was out of a dash cam lol. I brought it in the house to download some video off it and misplaced it. That was a couple years ago and I haven’t seen it since. I’m guessing it got vacuumed up.

2 Likes

Hopefully a helpful tip - I keep the SD adapter and case that they all appear to come with in the vehicle. I put it in there if I ever need to bring it indoors (and as my MacBook has an SD reader built-in, I can just slot it in directly…)

1 Like

I just bring the whole camera in now if I have something I want to download.

1 Like

:rofl:

Dang, that was some itch. These would sell I bet. Another fun fact, back in 1989-90 my brother was an Apple VAR vendor. He sold me at cost, a 40 Megabyte SCSI hard drive for $600.

3 Likes