Minecraft Chest and Tools

Hi Everyone! Decided to try making a small 2" cube Minecraft chest as a little trinket box for munchkin. He loved it, of course, and almost immediately asked for tools to put in it, so lots of pixel counting and color testing later, we’ve got a double-sided diamond sword, pick-axe, shovel, and axe (and yes, they do all fit in the chest). The tools are two layers thick and colored on both sides.

Not only was he impressed and pleased, but also gave me my next ‘commission’…an armor stand with a full set of diamond armor. Oh boy, that’ll be interesting…

Thanks for stopping and taking a look, and until next creation, Happy Forging!

66 Likes

So cool! I read the Max Brooks books with my son. Mel Brooks’ son writes great Minecraft books.

5 Likes

These look so great! Your designs are always so detailed and awesome.

4 Likes

Oh, nice! That box looks so elegant, I’m sure there would be additional uses for it.

4 Likes

Oh! Now that is awesome!

My kids would love that! I may have to give that a try. Thanks so much for the inspiration!!

3 Likes

These look so cool! Way to go, Dad!

3 Likes

I know so many people that would absolutely love something like this. These all look amazing and may have inspired me to try one or two myself.

3 Likes

Awesome :smiley:

I really like that style of hinge you used on the box. I know I’ve seen it around before… is there a generator that makes that hinge?

1 Like

There probably is a generator for hinges, or at least hinge parts in some of the box generators out there. A while back I saw something that had this style of hinge and I was able to figure out how it’s structured, and adapted the spacing of the posts to work either on boxes like this, or for layered pieces like some of my past hinged pieces (ie: a piece that’s a total of 10 layers thick when closed, there’s square notches in the edge of layers 2/4/7/9 picture below will help). this is actually two of the hinges put side by side and one bar through the whole thing, though I got the holes in the box a smidge close together, so it’s very tight…the outer two pieces tend to flange out a little bit when it’s opened, so just a hair width or two too tight…but learn and correct!

5 Likes

Cool. I had assumed you used a brass rod or something for the hinge… but I see here it’s just a piece of wood. Nice!

Does that mean the outer pieces of the hinge have a square hole, but the inner pieces must have a round hole?

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to seeing that one!

1 Like

Very cool!

1 Like

Exactly!

This is awesome!

1 Like

That is so cool. I made a red stone night light for my nephew. I will have to try a treasure chest. I love the tools!! Thank you for sharing.

7 Likes

That’s awesome!

Wow this is amazing! What materials did you use? Is this painted?

1 Like

fun stuff. kid must be thrilled.

1 Like

I went and made a version of this – mostly to learn how to do hinges like this, as well as to teach myself cuttle.xyz better. Man am I loving cuttle.

Here’s the project if anyone else wants to muck about with it. I’m going to change a number of things before I cut it again though, so caution to anyone thinking they’ll just give this a go:

Mine’s not as pretty as @odzicari but was still a satisfying little box to put together.

Things I might change and adjust:

• Mask my material next time :wink: so it looks all nice
  • Fine tune my engraving settings (I engraved the edge and the engrave went deeper than necessary which throws off some of the lines)
  • Loosen the holes (slightly) in the box where the hinge connects, as they were tight and hard to get in
  • Maybe reduce the number of hinges, or otherwise loosen them (they were so tight at first the lid didn’t stay together right and got loose)
  • Maybe adjust size of things to account for the depth of the engrave around the edges, to really make everything line up perfect
  • Maybe some paint or stain to get the right color to match the minecraft chest :slight_smile:
  • Make some tools!

(not sure why but this video is only working in Safari for me - it just shows my slightly broken lid)

7 Likes

proofgrade medium drafboard, colored with Sharpies.

2 Likes