Miniature bookcase in a book

A few months ago, I had the idea of making a bookcase of all the books I’d read this year, in miniature, in a book itself.

Like most things in my life, it took far longer than I thought it would, and I got the Glowforge to work, designing the bookcase and book inserts in Cuttle, then cutting them out using 3mm MDF.

To cut the front of the book itself, I drew a template of the rectangle on some paper, took out the tray, stacked up the old book, placed the template on top, lined up the rectangle to the template, then removed the template and focussed on the cover.

Three passes on 150/500, watching intensely! This cut through the card cover and the first five or so pages - a scalpel did the rest!

43 Likes

Oh that’s brilliant! What a beautiful way to track what you’ve read :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation:

12 Likes

Thank you! I’ve somehow immortalised it!

11 Likes

Wow! It must’ve taken forever to do all those tiny book covers! And how did you do the books? Are they just little pieces of mdf in different layers to get the different thicknesses and heights?

10 Likes

That’s amazing! Your perseverance is admirable; I wish I had your skill. Like @ellencadwell above, tell us how you did it. Please don’t stay away so long next time!

10 Likes

I like the tininess. Fantastic!

14 Likes

Oh. my goodness, I am amazed. What a wonderful book!

11 Likes

That is one of the best things ever! My bookshelf would be pretty small this year, unfortunately, but what an absolutely brilliant idea.

13 Likes

This is absolutely spectacular!! Love this so much!!

11 Likes

It did! I looked up the dimensions online, then reduced by 12 so that they were scaled correctly. About two thirds were the same size! It was logistically quite complex!

11 Likes

Haha, I’ve been working on other bits, I just forget to post on here! I will though!

7 Likes

Ah, many thanks! I’ll add it to my instagram feed (which is @enigmailed)

8 Likes

Many thanks!

5 Likes

Fantastic visual journal of the year’s reads.

10 Likes

You have an awesome sense of humor.

9 Likes

I absolutely love this! Very clever.

6 Likes

This is amazing art! It is over the top special because you can cherish your year of reading at a glance. A very artsy recap.

7 Likes

Yes, it was lovely to reminisce as I was making the little books.

4 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

It’s certainly over the top!

3 Likes