Miniature Gaming Terrain

Alright… some kind of acrylic for the portal… curious how you did the speckles.

The rest looks like MDF and glue.

Was this almost entirely laser cut parts and glue?

Mostly asking because I keep on pulling back from making large projects with the excuse of “I don’t have the parts I would need” and I really have to stop doing so. Pretty sure here I just see time and effort, not fancy connectors or extra tools.

7 Likes

MDF and Glue. And you don’t need glue for most pieces. Most of them slide together so you can take it apart, easily transport it flat, and put it back together in a different configuration. The exceptions are the Power Generators, Portal, Satellite Dish and Smoke Stacks, those are glued together with regular old wood glue.

The portal is just plain blue acrylic. The “speckles” are just artifacts from the picture blurriness. I was hoping to find a textured acrylic, but my local “plastic” place only had clear acrylic.

9 Likes

Those are awesome. My daughter loves Minecraft, so I can see what I will be building once we have our GF. Great job on yours!!!

3 Likes

A man of rare talent it would seem. Amazing!

3 Likes

WOW! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

This is so amazing!

2 Likes

This is fantastic. He is lucky to have a dad willing to put in that kind of time to create such amazing pieces.

6 Likes

Fantastic Job. I say you show your boy how to make a stop motion movie!!

2 Likes

He already knows how to do those. He does them with Lego.

What I need to do is show him how to make his own designs, and cut them. I’ll do that once I get the GF.

11 Likes

So cool. Want another kid? I volunteer. Sure I am close to turning 41, but it is just a number.

11 Likes

Cool project and amazing execution!
If I was @dan, I’d be printing your beta unit shipping label right now.

6 Likes

Another kid!? No thanks…four’s enough!

5 Likes

I like how you think!

4 Likes

That is crazy cool!

1 Like

I expect to purchase these plans on the GF market soon. Very well done.

7 Likes

This is stunning! Wonderful work.

4 Likes

Nice!

I can see the attraction in creating something for a game, particularly if that game is popular, and, if there’s no IP infringement, selling pieces. I really fancy making my own replica of “Blazing Saddles’ Rock Ridge”, not so sure it would have the commercial appeal as your gaming terrain or @Kallisti’s props for cos-players.

2 Likes

Make it in scale for model trains :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Allllll the toys. All of them. This is so cool. Thank you for making it and sharing pictures!!

3 Likes

Make it in scale for model trains :slight_smile: yeah that’s the ticket !

2 Likes