Miniature Room Box

looks great!

4 Likes

1:12 and thank you so much!

1 Like

I am in awe @chrisandrobwatson by your work. Congratulations.

However I am saddened by your statement:

It is beyond me when your own community fails to recognize talent amongst itself.

Please be sure that in this :glowforge: community we appreciate and admire all contributions, especially the ones that inspire us and leave us in awe and admiration like yours. We look forward to see more work from you showcased here. We are always willing to learn from our peers.

14 Likes

No matter what I could say, it would not match the work that you have done! Being that I am old (and somewhat crotchety) it isn’t very often that something makes me tear up, but the level of effort and detail in your work has certainly done so. I always dreamed of making minatures when I was a youngster, yet what you have achieved is beyond anything I could have even imagined. Incredible!

9 Likes

Wow, just wow. I bet you could use the 3D lasering to etch even more pieces.

5 Likes

Such a delightful creation! Certainly a bright spot for the forum!! So glad you shared with us.

9 Likes

This is incredible! I honestly thought it was a photo of an actual room. I was wondering where the miniature was. :smiley:

Fabulous!

7 Likes

WOW! This is really impressive, love it. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

How in the world did you make this?! Its spectacular!

1 Like

I am a miniaturist and so I have seen lots of miniature work. This is fabulous. If you want to have a community of like-minded miniaturists there are lots of nice groups on Facebook to join.

2 Likes

When you say “except obvious things”, I first thought “well, obviously not the furniture – that’s clearly bought dollhouse furniture”. Then I read your next sentence. This is all very impressive. Calling yourself an amateur – I don’t think you give yourself enough credit.

5 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous!

I give workshops in dollhouse interior. And this is top of the line quality. Thanks for sharing. I will show this to my students to raise the bar!:grinning:

3 Likes

I know how to engrave fairly well most things. Here is the problem with miniature furniture and maybe you or someone else can solve this problem. I want my miniature furniture to look as close to the real thing as possible. Antique furniture is often carved, but instead of looking like an engrave, the negative space is the opposite of an engraving- more like an embossing. How do I reverse an engraving? If I could figure that out, it would solve so many problems. I know it has something to do with grey scale etc. but I can’t figure it out.

1 Like

I just bought one and I’m staring at it now with trepidation. It has not been turned on yet. LOL

1 Like

I would LOVE to… I don’t have any social media but I will look into it. I’m not against it, just never found a use for it other than to suck me down some sort of wayward time sucking hole.

2 Likes

What you need is something called a depth map. It’s a representation of the item where the receding features are darker so they get engraved deeper, and the foreground features are lighter so they don’t get engraved as much. A lot of folks create these depth maps using 3D software like Blender. An easier way to dip your toe in the method might be to try a lithophane. Here is how I did one using a photograph:

3 Likes

That is quite easy simply invert the image . I do that frequently, on wood you want the “high parts” “out” but in clear acrylic you make them “down” and from the other side they look cast.

Wood

Acrylic

… … … .Basic . . … … . … … … inverted.

4 Likes

When i first saw it i was trying to figure out what was done on the GF, then i realized the entire thing was a miniature. Awesome work!

4 Likes

I love it!

1 Like