Mirrored acrylic pendant

While I’m enjoying the :proofgrade: materials, I have to do something with all this specialty acrylic I have. :wink:

So… here’s the pendant I did a couple of weeks ago, but this time using the “Slate Gray Mirror Acrylic” I got from Inventables.

I used the Medium Black Acrylic settings in GFUI and it overall seemed fine. There are a couple of spots where there’s some heat damage to the acrylic, but I can live with that.

I like that there are three different looks to the one piece, depending upon the light – engraved areas becomes translucent when backlit, surface looks dark metal metallic when nothing bright to reflect, and super-reflective with light stuff. Would be good in a nightclub.

Note that I engraved and cut from the back (the side that looks matte gray, not shiny, if you have some and have wondered).

46 Likes

That turned out great! (I’d wondered about engraving from the back - I’ve got some small pieces of mirrored acrylic. I’ll have to try it.) :grinning:

5 Likes

I hadnt even thought to engrave away the silvering on the back side, and that probably looks better than engraving the front and getting the double image.

4 Likes

I’ve pretty much have only seen people talking about cutting from the back, but not engraving. Seemed like something to try :wink:

And I wasn’t sure if I should have left the protective sheet on the front, but I did. Don’t know if that helped or hurt the acrylic on the front with respect to heat.

5 Likes

Probably helped. When I cut the mirrored acrylic I took off the film and put paper masking on both sides.

3 Likes

Depends on what it is. If it’s the paper based masking I leave it. If it’s the clear plastic film I peel it off and use painters tape or masking on it.

4 Likes

I’ll try some of the large painters tape masking I have next time.

I’ve also seen folks dampen their paper masking when cutting mirrored acrylic to keep heat down, though not when cutting non-mirrored. Has anyone done this?

EDIT: DISCLAIMER – IN NO WAY AM I ADVOCATING PUTTING WET STUFF IN A :glowforge:!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I haven’t.

Never needed to do it with acrylic but I do use a dampened newspaper or paper towel on glass when I do that.

2 Likes

I etch from the back of mirror acrylic all the time…works great!!

Found a few examples to show…This has been in my purse for over 4 years…It’s one of the acrylic mirrors we give out at larger paid events where we are hired for face painting, or they are $1 at fairs…the kids love getting one to look at their painted face :blush:

Backside:

Hard to get pics of mirrors…lol

These are earrings…etched from the back for detail…sorry not really clear pic…but I think you get the idea.

Both had thin transfer paper mask on front and back

29 Likes

Well shoot! This is making me want to play again! :no_mouth:

4 Likes

It would seem that the combination of smoke plus steam would make even stickier smoke… I get why it would work, but it just sounds bad to me :slight_smile: I’m glad that this is working without it.

Doesn’t really produce steam…damp…not wet…I’ve never needed to wet the mask with cutting acrylic on my machine with air assist, however my old machine built in the mid 90s didnt have air assist and its suggested in the manual to dampen the tape before cutting for acrylic and wood due to the flamable nature of both materials…the old manual also has settings for sign vinyl. :unamused:… I dont use the old manual…lol

7 Likes

Has anyone tried actual glass mirror in the Glowforge, to remove the backing? Just curious if anyone had any snaps to see the result.

3 Likes

Very cool.
I just got some mirrored acrylic myself. Haven’t used it yet.

3 Likes

I used to do glasswork in a kiln and we were advised NEVER to use mirrored glass in it as the reflective coating would be toxic upon heating. I assume that would be true for lasering it as well.

1 Like

Tin Chloride is used as a surface bonding agent for the silver to adhere to the glass, but I doubt an appreciable amount would be released unless you were to laze the entire reflective area away, akin to sticking an entire sheet in a kiln.

In fact, lasing mirrors is fairly commonplace.

6 Likes

Good to know- thanks!

I just got some mirror acrylic from Inventables and excited to try it out. Just to clarify, does it have to be flipped over to the non-reflective back and is masking tape necessary? I’m just wondering if the reflective mirror side will cause problems with the laser.

I love that! Want to start experimenting with mirror acrylic. Is Inventables your usual supplier for this and would you mind sharing your settings? I’m new :slight_smile: