Prototyping a project for a friend and, after a variety of test cuts yesterday, I went to cut a full draft of the project today. Specifically, I
- Put a piece of Home Depot underlayment (0.189") in the GlowForge along with a piece of graph paper to find the necessary offset between the UI and the actual job. The wood was held in place by some of the “honeycomb pins” posted to the forum with some magnets holding the masking tape that ran off the edges.
- Left the GlowForge on and idle while I took care of something unrelated for about an hour
- Had the prototype engrave, score and cut (about 2 1/2 hours total)
- Tried to pull the prototype out of the source material with a piece of masking tape and realized it hadn’t cut all the way through. I did not move the source material which was being held firm in place with the pins, and my hand.
- Re-ran the same design (I hadn’t closed the UI yet) but ignored everything except the cuts and upped the speed and power a little for those. (Approx. 7 minutes)
But, between the cuts from step 3 and the cuts from step 5, the calibration moved by about 3/8" vertically.
(Last cuts ended approx. 3 AM Eastern, Feb. 14)