Molded leather tray

Experimenting with molding a leather tray.

Here are my steps so far:

1. 3D printed the two halves of the mold.
  2. Glued 2 pieces of medium proofgrade leather back to back so that I would have finished surfaces on inside and outside of tray.
  3. Soaked leather in water for a couple minutes.
  4. Clamped the wet leather in the mold.
  5. Trimmed excess leather around edges.
  6. Left tray clamped for a little while then removed the core side so leather could dry more easily.

I have some finishing to do on the tray and will post more pictures as I make progress.

31 Likes

Clever idea! Can’t wait to see the finished product. Would also be cool to engrave a pattern in it before you place it in the mold. Sweet!

11 Likes

Been thinking about the engraving part.

May be tricky getting it clamped in the mold right if engraved before molding.

Engraving after molding is doable…I just need to make sure the head clears the tray sides.

7 Likes

Hmm this is interesting, the leather is that supple that it just forms like that? You didn’t have to remove any material in the corners to get it to be smooth? It seems like it would bunch up?

This can expand your possibilities:

5 Likes

I put a 15 degree angle on the tray walls which helps prevent the bunching. Soaking the leather in water for a couple minutes helps also.

Thanks for the “deep focusing” link. Looks interesting.

6 Likes

A vary cool experiment! Nice going!

4 Likes

I look forward to following along

3 Likes

That is very clever! There is always more to do!!

2 Likes

Finished tray. Decided to deboss/emboss the Mini logo instead of engraving.

15 Likes

That looks wonderful!

3 Likes

Really turned out sharp!

2 Likes

Saw nearly identical leather trays at a Japanese stationary store recently for :money_with_wings: :moneybag: :money_with_wings: :moneybag:. Yours are just as nice, well done.

4 Likes

I try not to think about how much some of my projects cost. I enjoy working with leather, but it is not cheap. Which is why I usually only order any of the proofgrade when it’s on sale for half price.

4 Likes

Tandy is a good source for leather. I usually buy a side but they have lots of small cuts and the remnant bags are a good deal for small pieces.

3 Likes

3D printed a couple more molds. These should turn out to be some nice trays.

9 Likes

Nice! Can’t wait to see how they turned out!

2 Likes

Did you make the STL for these molds? If not can point me to the location I can download/purchase them?

I made the STL files. Check the “Everything Else” category. I uploaded the files. Enjoy.

2 Likes

Here is the final result for the round tray.
Molded the tray, embossed the monogram with stamp made out of medium acrylic, dyed with Fiebing’s Pro Dye Chocolate.

8 Likes

That is an elegant result.

2 Likes