Mom's remote holder

Earlier this year my dad requested a custom holder for all his remotes, so I came up with this one. Mom is apparently in charge of the bedroom remotes, because she requested a slightly smaller one to go on her nightstand. This is what I came up with for hers.

I used Fusion 360 and @jbpa’s awesome plugin to create the basic boxes, then brought them into Affinity Designer to add the curve and the design elements, making use of this cool trick for making multiple copies of a shape follow a path.

The inside portion is medium PG basswood ply, and the outer portion is medium PG walnut ply. I used two layers of wood for two reasons – one, to cover up the finger joints of the dividers where they show through the sides, and two, to give it a little more weight to counter the weight of the longer remotes that would otherwise risk tipping it over, since Mom specified that it had to have a small footprint to fit amongst the other stuff on her nightstand.

43 Likes

That looks fantastic, and I’m happy to see you using F360. It’s so fun (and frustrating)!

6 Likes

It’s still more frustrating than fun, at the stage I’m at, but with @jbpa’s plugin I can actually accomplish something, which helps keep me plugging away at it!

6 Likes

Very elegant looking! and more importantly - so glad you got to make something!!! :grin:

6 Likes

I really like the design of this, it has a lot of application possibilities.

4 Likes

Fusion 360 for the win! Nice.

6 Likes

Nothing better than a custom solution to a problem, that is also beautiful!

4 Likes

Wow, a beautiful box for remotes! Fun to do something for your parent!

3 Likes