Mont Blanc Pen & a Drunken Promise

Sooo I’m a newbie and opened my mouth at the wrong time aaand now I have a Mont Blanc pen in my hands that needs a small engraving. Its coated in “precious resin” which I believe ultimately means Plexiglas. I only have the one shot at this because its an expensive pen. Anyone done one of these before can dial me in on settings? Thank you!

2 Likes

I would take it to a jeweler skilled in engraving this item.

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum - you certainly want to start with a bang!

I’m with @dklgood - it’s doable, but I would not combine “newbie” and “$1000 pen” in the same project!

If you decide to go forward you’re going to need a jig:

and mask the pen so you can verify with a 3 power that it’s engraving in the right place.

Then raise the power bit by bit and run the engrave multiple times until you like it.

Haunting your local resale and/or pen shops in the hopes of scoring a broken one so you can test the material would also be an important first step.

9 Likes

Tritto. A pen is one of the harder things to align on. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It’s only a $400 pen ::slams head on desk::

Unfortunately she has been turned down by a few jewelers already, they were only willing to do lettering and she wants a small line art.

Since she has also given me a very short time table so I think I’m just going to politely hand it back. TBH I really didn’t think she was going to pop back up!

That said, thank you for the masking and 3 power setting idea, I’m definitely going to keep that in my pocket for future use

5 Likes

For funsies I may grab some of my “good” pens and play around when I have time. They’re like $1 each LOL

6 Likes

Or you could try pencils…they actually engrave pretty well.

2 Likes

They sell weirdly well around me too

2 Likes

Easier things….a grain of rice perhaps? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

I hear that’s one of those urban legends. :wink:

5 Likes

Oh no. I have receipts!

3 Likes

While I used snapmarks on this project, it can be done without. Just get some dowels of the right size to practice on. If you don’t have a 3D printer, that might be an issue. However, you could coble together a jig with a box.

I agree it is a quite the thing to do this on a special pen. Just do it quite a few practice times until you feel comfortable.

4 Likes

I declined this particular job because of it time constraints but I’m going to be practicing. For my own branding purposes if nothing else! looking into snap mark now. thank you!

1 Like

Snap marks were discontinued a while back - so unless you already had them you won’t. They were used prior to us having the better camera placement. There is lots of info on created jigs that don’t require Snap marks to be placed correctly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I will second @deirdrebeth. Jigs are much simpler in the end and more reliable. Although the snapmarks are great when they work and the whole process for alignment for the passthrough demonstrates the capacity of camera alignments

1 Like

I’m getting pretty good at those already. My first job out of the box was engraving logos on 500 lip gloss tubes

1 Like

For sure!