More Adventures in 3D deep engraving

So the secret is the greyscale image then, right? No separate colors or settings? All one pass? Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

These are beautiful! The red one makes me happy.

2 Likes

If the engraving covers the entire piece as there do, there is not much point in masking protecting the parts you don’t engrave as you are engraving all of it.

1 Like

The right grayscale image with the per pixel callout for the depth of the cut is key. That is the data the laser needs to set the power for that pixel.

3 Likes

fantastic checker set?

What do you mean by ‘per pixel callout’? I haven’t done any deep engraving yet. Thanks!

Well that is a very good point, one I obviously :thinking::woozy_face::blush:never thought about before. Thanks for this reply.

When an image is processed for variable power it takes total black as what ever strength such as full power, and total white as no power, and there are 254 shades of gray between those. The computer looks at each step on the path and assigns a power based on the level of gray to that point. That way if the pixel is black full power is applied and that place is cut to the maximum depth, if halfway the the power is half and the depth is half, If white it doesn’t even go there except to step over the white if there is dark on the other side, That is how it appears to crop circles without the help of aliens,

3 Likes

I think I understand…thanks!

1 Like

They are gorgeous! Since they are translucent I’d be inclined to make something that light passes through. They could be suncatchers that hang in a window, or nightlights. (Most stained glass supply stores sell nightlights that have a place to glue something on that covers the bulb.) You could incorporate them into a box for a small candle. Or make a bigger lampshade. Endless possibilities!

3 Likes

I. think they could be. used as cookie stamps! Beautiful!

3 Likes

I see these as garden art.

Drill a hole or better yet put them back into the GF and create a hole for some fishing line. Hang them outside in your garden.

1 Like

Sunchasers!

8 Likes

how thick is the acrylic? do you have a video? That is amazing!!!

No video, but the acrylic was 1/4” so I was able to use the proofgrade settings for thick red/black/blue acrylic. :relaxed:

4 Likes

Great job, I think they would make nice soap dishes - with the raised areas the soap will dry properly and the soap won’t get stuck as it does on a flat surface and the water would drain after use so the soap doesn’t get all mushy like it does in puddles

2 Likes

Marvelous idea!

These are gorgeous!

1 Like