It is fairly simple. I basically just used one of the box generating websites and modified the file it generated to flatten the top and then added the channels for the lid. I’ll try to grab some screen grabs of the process and post them later.
I’m really hoping they have a good supply at this point. I’ll guess we’ll find out.
My wife tried to use that same logic to take one this morning. I had to hide them on her so they didn’t mysteriously disappear on me.
Oh thank you…I would very much appreciate that! I understand the concept…just don’t know quite how to go about it.
wow very awesome like that you did the slip joint … one of my projects was going to use that concept so good to know it proved out
Awesome job! Thanks for the photos. I had wondered if it was possible.
For those that are interested here is a quick overview of how i built the box.
I started by generating a plan using the makercase website.
This is a quick and easy way to get a good starting point for boxes. I would highly recommend cut a test box out of cardboard to test the size of the box before making edits to this file.
The real problem with this technique is that if you have to change the box size or material thickness later on you have to make all your changes again. I really need to build a parametric finger joint box in Fusion so i can easily change the box parameters.
Here is the plan from the website followed by my edited lines overlaid in red. Basically you want to remove the finger joints from the top section and and the tops of the sides. Then lower the top of the front to make room for the top to slide off.
Next came the areas that needed to be engraved to make the slot for the top. The channel needs to run down both sides and the back so the top can close all the way. Make the channel slightly larger then the thickness of the top material.
It can run all the way across the back if you are ok with gaps from the channels on the sides. Otherwise only make it as wide as the sliding top.
Now we need to figure out the settings for cutting the file. Since i was using Proofgrade this was mostly done automatically for the cuts and my image engraves. But since i wanted the channel to be roughly half the thickness of the material. So i made a test file with several small boxes to engrave in the material at different setting till i found one that was the right depth using my calipers.
That is basically it. From there i just cut the file and glued it up. It took a few attempts to fix all the issues.
Like i said before my plan is to make this in fusion where i can make it parametric so it can be easily edited and be used to make boxes of different sizes.
Just goes to show how you can dress up a simple box and make it look awesome.
Especially if it holds chocolate!
They both look great! I think the maple is my favorite to see the engraving, but I like the overall look of the walnut one.
Thank you SO much for posting this walk-through and the photos. This is exciting to me and I look forward to giving it a try, soon. (good reminder to try with cardboard, first)
The boxes are Awesome! Thanks for sharing the images and steps you used.
I know I will be making Tons of Boxes!
They look great! They really do!
Have you considered inlaying the engraved maple circle into the walnut box? Also centering all those geometric shapes of the engrave in the middle of the box looks to my untrained eye as a bit conventional.
The graphics are just place holders until they work out the final design. I’m hoping the final will be a little more interesting.
I think an inlay would be too cost prohibitive since it would really raise the labor costs per box.
Materials ordered. I apologize if they run out of medium walnut plywood, just ordered 90 sheets.
They also upped the order to 160. Gonna be really busy the next few weeks.
Time to see how well the basic holds up to a heavy load. Luckily i haven’t had any over heating issues since the glowfoge is in a cold basement.
I’m a big fan of proofgrade too! Consistent. No question your job will run first time no material related incident. In a project like you just got yourself into - that’s golden.
Material arrived today!! That is a lot of PG
Now i just need to finish making some jigs for my router to cut the channel for the lid. I decided against etching them with the laser since it was going to add at least 40 hrs to the engraving time.
Jigs are super easy to make them with the GF. I can see myself making a bunch of these in the future. Here are a few pics of the prototype.
I just need to make a few final adjustments and i’ll be ready to start production.
Pretty clever here! I agree with the multi-tool approach. Sure the laser could etch it out, but I’d rather save that tube life to do more complicated things I wouldn’t be able to do so easy with my other tools!
Good plan Sometimes (hold onto your hat) the laser isn’t the right tool for a job