Others have done similar things (haha, although I just saw them as I was about to type this!) but here’s another “custom acrylic dice” process.
(Blank acrylic dice, super cheap online)
I started making a set of dice that randomly generates NPCs… although for these I cut them blank, then painted them with brush on paint, and then just wiped them while they were wet to remove the high spots. This… mostly… worked, but acrylic paint on acrylic dice meant there’s a slightly cloudy color to the dice where the wipe-off paint still marks it.
(Black letters are basic traits, blue is attitude, red is motivation)
Then I wanted to make some custom dice for hit damage (Tiny Dungeon RPG system) and realized how much easier it would be if I masked them and spray painted them. Here’s the relatively straightforward process for that. (Make note of the custom spray booth cardboard thing to mask off the other sides, made this all SO much easier)
The spray painted masked off areas were so much cleaner than the first NPC dice. Might need to go back and redo them.
The 2nd batch of dice were cut with better settings. The original NPC dice settings weren’t good. Yeah, the dice were slightly higher than .5 inches, but not so much that it affected anything… acrylic is slightly gooey when melting anyway… didn’t feel like removing the tray and junk.
Hope that’s all helpful!