I decided to try some more wood inlay stuff this weekend and did this little test piece
I took a picture of a humming bird feeding put it in inkscape traced it out separating the areas I wanted different woods then I trace the whole thing as well. I etched the shape into some scrap plywood and then cut the pieces out of different wood veneers I got in a random pack from amazon. Then I superglued the pieces in and sanded it finished it with some wipe on poly.
I also tried putting some mother of pearl flakes into the eye of the bird but the hole was really too small and I ended up with some random pieces stuck to the head instead. I think it came out pretty good as an experiment and learned a fair bit from doing it getting the power setting right on the veneers was tricky my first couple of attempts it basically blasted right through and burnt away most of the material then I used way too little power and didn’t cut through but I got there in the end.