More Paper Art

Been making it my new hobby and it’s pretty much engulfing every spare moment of my time trying to find ways to make things smaller and more detailed…
All of this is just cheap posterboard and glue to learn with.

10" Diameter
40 layers of paper

2.5x3.5
21 layers of paper

4" Diameter
(Currently 11 layers but will be 21 when I’m done)

EDIT:
Updated outcome of the Ornaments. It ended up being 22 layers of paper

I also liked the design so much I made 2 more that was one for me and one to sell.

68 Likes

This is truly amazing!! You certainly have a lot of patience, but it’s paid off!

11 Likes

It almost looks like a mantle clock. Very beautiful!

(It would look amazing as a clock also :wink: )

14 Likes

Thanks, I’ve been able to learn a lot of tricks after making a number of different pieces. Both with easier on me assembly as well as better utilization of paper.

11 Likes

Thanks! That’s actually one of the goals one of these days is to make a highly detailed clock .

8 Likes

How long does 21 layers take to cut?

9 Likes

That style will make an amazing looking clock! Good luck!

Please keep sharing your progress!

9 Likes

Fabulous!

8 Likes

Sorry, of which one?

10" Piece - took about 9 separate cut files and each cut file took about 15 min each

2.5"x3.5" Piece - Took about 16 min to cut (most items were just a circle and outline. The detailed section is only 1.5" in diameter and that took the most time overall)

4" Piece - This one to do the 11 layers it currently has took about 22 min total on 2 different cut files

It’s a lot of time individually, but honestly, there is a LOT of weeding and popping out the interior parts in between but that’s thankfully mostly mindless and can be done while waiting on cutting.

12 Likes

Awesome. Not as bad as i thought. Do you use a Seklema mat? If not, that would be a great addition for you. It’s a sticky pad that holds paper down-even with intricate cuts.

10 Likes

No, never heard of that before. I ended up going with the thinnest cheapest posterboard I could find (you can see how thick it is in the side profiles) but it sits surprisingly well when it’s being cut. The only times I have issues is when it’s a small piece and the fan blows under it and starts to move it, or it’s so small it falls directly into the crumb tray… lol

8 Likes

I really love layered paper art. The second one reminds me of the Notre Dame Rose Window.

12 Likes

That is what it’s Based off of, as is the third (I’m glad that it’s coming through :smiley: ).

The first one is based loosely off of the Bahai Temple located in Wilmette, IL.

19 Likes

It’s definitely coming through! Great work!

7 Likes

I have been in that beautiful building several times. It is wonderful, and your work represents it well.

6 Likes

This is stunning!

4 Likes

Wow, thanks!

1 Like

Beautiful! But you have way more patience than me!
Instead of buying a mat to put your cardstock on to keep it from blowing around, you can just sacrifice a piece of plywood and spray it with Krylon Easy-Tack. Let it dry for about 15 minutes before you put your cardstock on it. It’s easy, reusable, and the spray is easily reapplied as needed. I was making a lot of cardstock boxes for some of my products I was selling, and it works perfectly. The paper peels off the board easily, and it keeps all the little pieces from blowing away or up.

7 Likes

Oh also awesome. Thanks!
Curious, how does the back of the cardstock look after cutting it? is there smoking/charring?

2 Likes

Just charring on the edges of the cuts, just like on wood, but no smoke or charring on the paper itself. I still just use my setting for posterboard, so although it engraves just slightly into the wood, it’s not going much deeper than the posterboard itself. You just want to make sure that you smooth the posterboard down so it’s stuck all over (but it does come up easily when you’re ready to peel it off). I’ve also found that one “coating of spray” will last me for a couple days, so I’m not having to spray the wood board each time I’m using it. I just shove it in a drawer when I’m done. When it stops being sticky, just spray it again and wait the 15 minutes before applying your paper to it. It also works great with regular copy paper too, and probably even lightweight material (which I have NOT cut - yet!).

4 Likes