Mother’s Day treat

I just whipped up a last minute treat for my mom for this Sunday. It starts with those silicone molds that will hold an Oreo cookie (I used these), and you melt that melting chocolate that you get in the big box hobby stores, fill the well halfway with melted chocolate, pop in an Oreo cookie and push it down a bit until the chocolate oozes up the sides, top off with more chocolate to level with the top of the mold, then let cool. When you pop it out of the mold it looks like a tiny chocolate cake 57 mm in diameter, ready to decorate.

I decorated mine by making a custom sugar lace mold out of silicone sheet. I engraved “Happy Mother’s Day” in reverse on the sheet, and after cleaning thoroughly, applied the sugar lace paste and let it dry overnight. I had to use the point of a craft knife to tease the lace out of the mold, but I managed it. The whole greeting is less than an inch high, so it’s pretty delicate.

If you want to know more about how to make molds for sugar lace, you can check out my previous projects here and here.

48 Likes

Oh my goodness! That is amazing!

So much fine and delicate work! I don’t think I could pull this off, but I love what you have done here. I am sure she will love it!

7 Likes

These look awesome. What a great idea!

7 Likes

How cute is that!!! Love it!! :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

How on earth did that sugar lace not break when removing from the mold? That’s crazy.

8 Likes

I looked at your links in your other post. The one for the paper isn’t correct anymore. Can you repost the link for the edible paper you use?
Thank you!!

6 Likes

I think I want one. (Yes, definitely.) Looks absolutely delicious! :grinning:

8 Likes

Whoops! Sorry about that. That post was from more than a year ago, so I guess supplies have been in flux. If you search on Amazon for “edible fabric icing sheets,” you’ll get a lot of hits. I can’t recommend a particular source since I’m still using what I bought back then.

9 Likes

Thank you!!

5 Likes

One other thing: I learned everything I know about doing sugar lace by watching this YouTube channel:

12 Likes

That is so perfect, but it is a little small to share. Did you make more than one? :wink:

8 Likes

This is absolutely luscious looking. I love your sense of style…not to mention I would love to eat that.

7 Likes

:+1:

6 Likes

That not only sounds delicious, but wow! What a cool design. And the possibilities in other materials…

This sounds like a great Death By Chocolate treat.

5 Likes

Oh no, another subject to binge-watch. The rabbit hole beckons.

5 Likes

Wonderful! Lucky mom!!

4 Likes

Great! Another way to make molds! Thanks!

3 Likes

You only made one? I’d want a box full! Great job. It looks delicious!

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for the share. She has some amazing stuff and talent!

2 Likes

A very special indulgence … just for her! Wonderful!

1 Like