Sugar lace for Valentine’s Day

I have various people I like to give fancy cookies to on Valentine’s Day, and I have some heart shaped cookie cutters. Lately I’ve been fascinated by sugar lace, which is an edible lace embellishment for cakes and cookies made from a mixture of sugar and gums to keep it flexible. I decided to design a custom lace mold in Illustrator to fit my cookie molds.

First, here’s the cookies with lace and modeling chocolate embellishments:

I think they came out great! The mold for the lace was made by engraving one of those smooth silicone baking mats. The best way I found to make the lace was to get some of that edible inkjet printable paper, cut a piece the approximate size of the mold, get it wet until it softens to a paste, and squeegee it into the mold. Let dry then repeat. The resulting lace is quite sturdy.

The hubby is not all that keen on hearts but loves guitars, so I made a guitar shaped lace for him:

Here’s the molds:

Edit: forgot to say that if you try this, be sure to rub a thin coat of vegetable shortening into the mold before adding the sugar paste, or you’ll never get it out of there without tearing it.

Edit: settings are here.

88 Likes

These are incredible!

6 Likes

Those are too pretty to eat. Thanks for the info about your process. I had no idea there was such a thing as edible inkjet printable paper, although I guess any paper can be edible as many kindergartners have proven.

8 Likes

Do you have links to your favorites silicone mats? Happy to shop using an affiliate link if you’re got one. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No affiliate links but I’m happy to share what I used:

Silicone mat: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078T9YT1C/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_VqPeEb1SJGSBW

Edible paper: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TM952B3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

19 Likes

WOWSERS! That is brilliant!

And given how unbelievably expensive those sugar lace molds are…you have just opened up one heck of a marketing segment! :smile:

7 Likes

So awesome and delicious! Love this idea.

3 Likes

this entire concept is all new to me. thanks for filling my head with more ideas.

6 Likes

That is deeply clever and an awesome result. kudos!

3 Likes

Those look just delicious - and very finely made!

2 Likes

So cool

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Those are definitely stunning! I bet they could win local bakeoffs unless someone started using them as architectural gingerbread in gingerbread houses.

In my freading I have come across several edible rice papers but this seems heavier. I wonder if it was soaked in sugar corn starch and baking powder if each one could be different and puffed up a bit?

2 Likes

OK…now I want cookies!!! Beautiful!!!

5 Likes

Those are too pretty to eat!

5 Likes

I don’t see how you can get the sugar topping out without breaking it. Especially the guitar. :thinking:

4 Likes

Those are fabulous! The sky is no longer the limit. I can only imagine all the lovely delicacies that will be forthcoming from your kitchen.

6 Likes

This is a completely new idea for me, I very much hope to try it. Amazing how thin those guitar lines are.

2 Likes

I thought of this post when I saw this on FB…
Hungarian gingerbread cookies…

31 Likes

:astonished:

6 Likes