Mother's day brooches

My mom is one of the few ladies I know that still wears brooches. Every time she goes to the senior center, she pins one on. So I figured this could be a great little mother’s day gift that she could wear to dinner tonight.

I cut the pins on pg cherry plywood in about 7 minutes…

but I did not like how dark they turned out. So I decided to invert the image in illustrator, and make the flower one about a half inch larger.

Yves actually liked the darker ones better, so instead of ditching those, I decided to make all four into brooches. I added some Swarovski crystals to each of them, because my mom likes sparkles about as much as I do :slight_smile:.

There were a few good lessons learned in using the crystals. For one, don’t try to grab or place those suckers right after having a cup of coffee! At least I shouldn’t; my hands were shaking like crazy, and I ended up smearing the glue on the first one and launching a few into the air as well! They have amazing projectile capabilities, and are rather hard to find once they launch. And two, that crystal glue pen is pretty freaking awesome! Very precise application and relatively quick drying time.

I used super glue to attach the pin part.

And here is the final product! The picture doesn’t do the crystals any favors, but it does sparkle nicely.

Happy mother’s day!

89 Likes

those look fantastic…

8 Likes

I’m always amazed by your creativity. Those are wonderful.

8 Likes

Lovely! I really like the one at the upper left… :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

That is gorgeously done!
How does the superglue hold up? I usually find it a bit brittle over time…

6 Likes

I like your style! These are all lovely–can’t decide which one I like best@

8 Likes

Librarians wear them too–on our cardigans! :grinning:

Not being sarcastic…I really do love them! Although mine are usually things like X-Wings or a Tardis. :slight_smile:

These are beautiful! Can’t wait to make some someday!

20 Likes

Those are lovely and your mom will be tickled to receive them

3 Likes

Those are wonderful! Your mom will love them (then, I bet, brag to her friends about how her daughter made them). Just lovely. Thank you for sharing!

4 Likes

Okay, now I may have to make a tardis brooch. I would wear that! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Seems to be holding up pretty well. I’ve put together several pieces using super glue, and they all seem to be good…though I haven’t had any more than a year, so can’t really say much for long term use.

5 Likes

Oooh…a little wooden Tardis would be lovely!

A pin is a great conversation starter when working with students…at least that’s how I justify wearing nerdy brooches and shirts to work. :slight_smile: “You like Firefly? I like Firefly!” Next thing they know they’re leaving with a book in their hand and aren’t quite sure how it happened lol.

13 Likes

We have to get you two separate forum accounts so Yves doesn’t keep getting credit for your awesome work. :wink:

(multiple accounts per GF is definitely in the hopper)

19 Likes

Well done. These look beautiful

5 Likes

Growing up I watched many people wearing brooches, during mass and such things…these are perfect representatives of said time…ahhhh…memories.Thank you.

6 Likes

Those are gorgeous!!!

4 Likes

WOW! Another happy Mom! Well done!

5 Likes

Beautiful work. :sunglasses:
I have seen those small strong magnets used for pins that don’t need to pierce the fabric.

6 Likes

You could also put little clips on the back to make them barrettes…us girls with short hair are always looking for fancy little things like that. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s a great idea!

4 Likes