Mothers day gift that is going viral at work or, How I got hooked on engraving

Thank you so much. I was sort of wondering if that might be the case, but didn’t want to waste material to find out I was wrong.

3 Likes

Oh, and I forgot to mention: I’ve found that some pics printed better just as they were, with no manipulation, while some printed better when converted to dithering. I have not yet tried Dan’s advice, but will soon!

2 Likes

What materials would require the negative to be printed? I imagine granite(black) would as well as any anodized metals. Have any samples of these been posted? Do some woods work better for images/photos than others? I’d imagine darker woods and “grainier” woods would be less desirable. :thinking:

2 Likes

Acrylic plaques/signs sometimes work better with a negative (not just mirrored) version of the original. Ditto some darker woods like walnut and as you said granite, etc.

1 Like

The rule of thumb for submitting a negative would be anything that lightens with laser exposure.

The best woods are, yes, light colors. I use maple exclusively for the photo.

1 Like

Please bug that! That’s exactly the sort of feedback that’s helpful for us to hear.

We’ve seen it so many times we don’t even notice, but you’re right.

4 Likes

OK. Got it.

OK…was just getting ready to ‘bug’ this and uploaded my photo into the app again and now it looks like it should. I don’t get it. I’ll send to support anyway. Maybe it happens randomly or something?

4 Likes

Black in the photo looks magenta in the UI. Magenta-on-white looks right, magenta-on-black looks like it’s a negative. :slight_smile: Please bug, helpful for us to know what’s not working there!

(@Tony is working on some ideas to make preview better and less magenta, but those are still in the hopper)

10 Likes

Thanks…I did, right away.

2 Likes

As promised

, the back side:

11 Likes

Normally I am the last one to be impressed by my own work but this one I really like. Fortuitously the original was the wrong aspect ratio to do an 8x10, cropping would have cut out things that needed to remain so I took the elements that were going to go on the frame and put them right on the photo. I learned a lot of GIMP the hard way today but I am thrilled with the results. This is THREE hours of engraving and as big as the Glowforge will do. I wish I could get more detail in the face but overall this thing looks great.

26 Likes

Wow! That’s just gorgeous! Are you planning to frame it or mount it? :smiley:

3 Likes

Whoa-- what an awesome engrave!

3 Likes

It is getting wall mounts tomorrow.

4 Likes

That came out great!!! Worth the three hours!

4 Likes

That’s incredible!

5 Likes

Amazing!

4 Likes

I hear ya! Concept alone is a huge help for me![quote=“markevans36301, post:52, topic:7630”]
As promised
[/quote]

Very cool. Thanks for the share!

3 Likes

Just did this one as an experiment. Beach lighting makes a huge difference.

24 Likes