Moving the imported image to the workspace

When I create my own image and import the SVG file it appears on the left hand side of the image of the print area. There is a very small icon in the extreme upper left corner of the workspace. I can drag this icon and make it bigger. The image in the workspace can now be manipulated.

My problem is that if I change from “cut” to “engrave” the image disappears from the workspace.

1. How do I copy the image on the left back to the workspace after editing the settings?
  2. Is there any way to have the initial image in the extreme upper corner larger than a “dot” when imported?

Thank you,
Tom

1 Like

If I’m understanding this correctly your image is off the work area. Zoom out and slide it onto the work piece.
I don’t know what program you use but to prevent that from happening in inkscape, make the default page 20 inches wide by 12 inches tall (File, Document Properties). Then place your artwork inside the box. It will appear in your GF in the same location as on inkscape.

1 Like

Thank you for replying. I am using AutoCad and then converting the file from a .dwg to an .svg in another autocad program. This has worked well for me in making cuts so far.

This is my first project on my new machine, I have used one some at a store renting time. I am making a model house.

If I try to drag and drop the imported image from the side bar to the workspace it is not permitted. I do not see any commands to make any one of the possible images in this side bar active on the actual image of the material I want to cut.

How can I move the images from the sidebar to the workspace?

The only way I have found was as mentioned, the initial import creates a small icon in the extreme upper left corner which and be stretched bigger then manipulated. Once I try to change any setting though the image disappears from the workspace and all I can do is start over with another import.

This creates multiple images of the object in the sidebar.

Hope this further describes my situation as I am new and not familiar with all the correct terms for this type of work.

Your help is appreciated.

Tom

1 Like

I sometimes find an image I upload appears as a tiny image in the upper left of the GFUI (GF User Interface). Sometimes you can fix that by adjusting the size of the image in the program to get it closer to 1:1 for upload to the GFUI.

I’m not familiar with AutoCad, so not sure what settings are needed, but check if the “page” for it is the same as the size of the GF bed, and that should get you close to having the image size stay the same when imported.

The “side bar”–do you mean the bar with the control settings for the image in the GFUI, right?
You can’t “move” something from the sidebar to appear in the bed. If it’s in the sidebar, it means the artwork is somewhere in the GFUI already, as it only represents each file loaded. Zoom out as much as you can and select as big of an area as you can to find it.

For changing from CUT to engrave–some types of SVG you can’t engrave, but only have cut or score options active (engrave font will be very light grey to denote not an option). If you import a file that has cut lines & artwork for engraving, each of those elements will appear as separate items in the side bar so you can modify their settings separately.

But occasionally things do get funky, and refresh and even restart. And clear your internet cache for the best function for the system.

3 Likes

Bansai8creations,

Thank you for your input. I will try to put your insights into practice tomorrow.

You are likely not looking for a conversation about my learning curve and I don’t want to presume on your generosity…

I am making a scale model of a house I built 35 years ago. I first drew the house 1 to 1 ratio in AutoCad. That’s typical for architectural renderings. My model is close to 1/2” = 1’-0”. I made a to scale physical ruler for my model. I have been scaling down my original drawing to the scale of the model. If I want an 80” high door it’s closer to 3 1/8” when done “to scale”.

From what you have said, I did not need to redraw the parts to the smaller scale. It might have worked to use the 80” high door as easily as the 3 1/8” version. Once imported into the glowforge workspace I could scale the 80” version down to 3 1/8” as easily as taking the miniature 3 1/8” drawing I imported and had to “scale up”.

Anyway… I like doing original things and learning how to do them is just part of the process.

I believe someone told me that .pdf files are better than .svg because it is easier to designate cut, score and etch in the same file. I will need to look that up. I will need to learn how to create, import and print etched surfaces. The svg files have not worked for this and your comment leads me to believe that that file format for engraving May be the problem.

Sorry for rambling…
This machine is going to get used.
I appreciate you taking time to assist me in this learning phase. I hope to one day pass on the blessing to others.

Tom

I’ve been able to create the windows and doors. Interior walls are next.

1 Like

When I was doing such renderings the drawing was actual size that was reduced in the “window” of the page to be printed, but remained full size in the “base model”. I can imagine that trying to put a 100 foot drawing in a 20" space would freak out the viewer, and attempt to scale much more into the available space, and or turn the vectors into rasters.

It would not be that hard to scale the copy of the model x 1/24 and use that before preparing the part for the GFUI.

Thanks for the answer @bansai8creations , that’s right. I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!

one way to move it to where you can see/grab it more easily is to select all (ctrl/cmd A) and then use the arrow keys to move it out of that extreme corner first. then you can zoom in and grab it and more if more specifically.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.