Multi-color stencil

Going to use this idea for sure!

1 Like

Omg the “flappy thing” is amazingly brilliant. I love making stencils in photoshop, so i will be flappyyying lol

4 Likes

Is Glowcon for the glow forge actually a thing or are you just thinking in the future? Because Glowcon is already a thing here in San Francisco.

Well, looks like we’ll have to come up with another name. Quite a few folks over the past two years have posited a Glowforge Convention/meetup. I’d go.

Very, very fine. It’s actually pretty delicate, and will not survive particularly long as a result. Luckily, a fresh version is remarkably easy to make!

2 Likes

Amazeballs. :clap:

1 Like

I’m still waiting for my GF to arrive but will be referring to yoir tutorial when it does! Thank you for taking the time to share.

2 Likes

What kind of respirator do you use? Great stencil!

1 Like

I use cartridge-based half masks and full face masks from 3M, like https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Paint-Project-Full-Respirator-6000-Series/?N=5002385+8709316+8740610+8743715+3294427649&rt=rud

1 Like

That is very cool. What kind of card stock did you use? Also have you tried on any kind of transparency?

Think this is 100# stock that I got from amazon, but i use anywhere between 80# and 110# depending on what I can get ahold of cheapest at the time.
I’ve used old transparencies from an overhead projector, but not for a long time. No idea how they would laser. They don’t stay transparent after your spray them, and can be loud when handled.
Mylar works well, and oilboard works a treat.

Awesome! What settings did you use for the cardstock?

Some of my tests:

I strongly suggest doing your own tests on the material you will have, as it is almost guaranteed to be at least a little different than what I was using that day. Also, some settings may have changed as that was almost a year ago.

5 Likes

Holy cow! Thanks for the explanation. Love the final piece! You’ve always given great art advice and instruction.

(How did I miss this back in the day?)

4 Likes

Thanks @rebecca that was a fun one.

3 Likes

Rebecca! Where the heck have you been forever? Are you lurking and reading or finally coming back?

4 Likes

Hi @Xabbess !

Being an educator during the pandemic ate up most of my free time (and students before lasers ….).

All is well, and I am getting ready to fire up my beloved “Hello Forgeous” soon to make some gifts for friends and signage for a couple of local businesses.

It’s been so great reading posts of folks who have been in the forum for so long and seeing work of new contributors. I love the new features (wow!) and looking at all the new projects. Now I have too many new ideas swimming in my head.

(I am about 5000+ posts behind, but on the upside there is so much new stuff to discover and explore. Yay!)

Thanks for the hello! I have been lurking, periodically.

10 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This is awesome! I have never done stencils like this but I’ve wanted to learn.

2 Likes

Do it, stencils are tons of fun!

2 Likes

I was just revisiting this way-back thread and realized I never commented on that work.
First, I really like the ‘dirty thumbnail’, where the stencil had lifted just a hair. It looks like a working man’s hand.
Second, I am inspired by the way you set up the ‘stencil stack’. Great idea, not having to try and register free-hand. I would have to smudge a few before I figured that out.
Thanks for the lesson Dude. Great work.

5 Likes