My 4x5 pinhole camera

This is soooo cool!

5 Likes

Thanks. I’ve been making things here and there but honestly the quality of the community’s work is so good I am often afraid to post my work. Since my first ukulele I’ve made another but haven’t posted it. I also made a bunch of obscure photo accessories but again I haven’t put it up because I wasn’t sure if it would resonate. Just shy, I guess. But I was so pumped by this build I could not resist. Cheers.

5 Likes

Thanks! One more picture for the road, then!

21 Likes

Beautiful shot.
The Presidio I presume? The shading of black and white is somehow more expressive than color.

The tree didn’t grow above ground that way, that’s the erosion that has occurred. Those coastal pines and cedars, there’s a visual poetry to them.

6 Likes

Amazing!

4 Likes

first, I misspoke, I meant brownie not browning, and 620 is a fuzzy maybe, it was one of the ones that were a box and you held it at your waist. There was NOTHING to adjust, the shot either came out or it didn’t. Was great fun for a 10 yo and I haven’t seen it in at least 40 years.

10 Likes

Thanks again. Yes, it is down the hill from the first picture. I’ve always tried to pinpoint the reason black and white is so appealing. I’m sure there are many factors but one way I like to think about it is that color is information. Absence of that information makes us fill that void with our own imagination. We become more invested in the image because we have to add something of ourselves to it. We see something deeper because what we put in is staring back at us.

6 Likes

Those were very popular and the 620 format was mainstream back in the day. I hope you find it again. Shooting film is a ton of fun and the simpler the camera the better! Cheers.

2 Likes

Love this! Wish I knew how to develop film! This would be a cool project to take on!

4 Likes

Welcome Back! :grin: Just last week I bumped into an old post of yours and wondered what had happened to you.
Those photos are gorgeous and made me think of deep engraving them into the back of gray acrylic! Something else a Glowforge can do a special job of.:thinking:

5 Likes

I took photography in High School and loved it so much I took another class my senior year in graphics which was a 3 hour class focused on all things print. It was so much fun running AB dick printing presses and working with the first Mac (this was 1985) but it wasn’t my love of that - it was my love of B&W photography, the assignments we were given and the hours we spent developing pictures in the dark room. I loved it and loved everything about it.

My first 2 years in college I was a photographer for the school newspaper - what a fun job! I remember shooting indoor volleyball and basketball games on Kodak 400 Tmax film at 1600 exposure to get the shots to come out in that lighting and over developing the film to get it to come out. The pictures were so grainy but it didn’t matter - it was going into the paper!

This brings back so many memories. I might have to do this myself…

Thank you for the inspiration!!!

6 Likes

WAAAYYYYY beyond my technological understanding, but that is amazing!!

4 Likes

Wow!! I wish I had your photographic (and GF) talent!

4 Likes

This is beautiful! I LOVE black and white. My family knows that’s my favorite as many of the pics i take end up there. I think you’re right, there’s so much left to the imagination in a b/w photo. Thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Thanks! Film processing is not that difficult once you know how. There are even ways to do it with coffee and vitamin C. It’s a great hobby for a maker.

5 Likes

Wow, it seems we are of a similar generation and had a similar path. I took a photo class in high school and was a photographer for my college newspaper. I stepped away from photography in the early 00’s and didn’t come back to it until about 4 or 5 years ago. At first I was updating my gear and getting the latest and greatest but it just wasn’t doing for me until I started using film. Now it’s back with a vengeance and the agency of being able to make your own gear to take pictures specific for your expressive interests is just too good to be true. I hope to keep improving and making new types of cameras so I’ll post them as they develop (no pun intended).

7 Likes

Thanks! Nice to be back! I’ve been forging away, just hesitant to put stuff up. The feeling I got when I processed the film was so cathartic that I could not resist posting. I would have done a better write up but I don’t know, just felt I had to put it up right away! I also made another ukuele so I’ll be putting up a post on that soon. I hope. The pinhole is too much fun though!

8 Likes

I knew a man who was totally color blind; he only saw in shades of grey. He could see things in my stained glass pieces that were invisible to us. My guess is that he was able to perceive the depths of light-play within the glass.

There’s an emotional component when I view b/w photos that’s missing when I view color photos.

6 Likes

This is really cool. Thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Wow, just amazing! The build, the pictures are awesome.

5 Likes