My 4x5 pinhole camera

Wow this is amazing and your photos are fabulous too. So cool!

5 Likes

Fabulous!!! Great post!!! Amazing photos!

Now all you need is a digital back for your camera!!!

4 Likes

You know of course that about any raster editor can turn saturation to zero and see what the man saw. Hard to do in stained glass but much easier in a photo of stained glass :grin:

That was the sort of thing I was thinking about by 3D engraving photo negatives into the back side of that gray transparent quarter-inch acrylic :thinking:

4 Likes

These photos look so cool! The combination of motion and stillness give things an ethereal quality. Such a great idea.

2 Likes

That’s fascinating. I had a teacher who told me when he was young, he wanted to be a pilot. So he went to the recruiting office (this was in Japan for the Japan Self-Defense Forces) and was told that he would not be accepted for that program because he was color blind. They did recommend he become a sniper because his particular colorblindness meant he would not be easily fooled by camouflage. Now, he told me this story in the 80’s so I figure this happened in the 70’s. I’ve done some research on it and it seems the arguments go both ways for snipers, but it does seem that lack of color sensitivity is compensated by sensitivity in texture, luminosity, and reflection.

5 Likes

Out in the field in the Presidio. The cover is off so you can see the pinhole. The hole you can see in the silver-ish metal is not the pinhole itself but the opening for the pinhole which is etched in a very thin wafer of brass.

I also made a back cover for the camera because I did not want to have my film holders always attached to it and out in the light - even though they are light tight there’s no sense in tempting fate. I also did not want the inside of the camera exposed to the elements if there is nothing covering the back. The dial is an exposure calculator that helps me figure out the super long exposures necessary for pinhole photography.

12 Likes

I love this, and the exposures you’re getting are dreamy and ethereal. HOW COOL!

4 Likes

There are a number of types but my guess is the most common red-green colorblindness, upon looking I found this:

That different types of color blindness gives you different numbers to look at.

6 Likes

So cool! I remember doing this in school.

3 Likes

I like the thought and craftsmanship that went into this. I’ve always been satisficed with shoeboxes and I’ve got a couple of pinhole lenses I bought for my DSLR to play with.

That might be true for you, but the magic is still there for other types of photography. Instant exposure is no less thrilling (and for me a lot more satisfying) than waiting an extended period of time. And there is a whole world of post processing too to achieve any effect you want.

Basically, everybody has their own likes and no one way is better than any other. Getting the image you want is what it’s all about.

3 Likes

Now that is impressive! Holy cow! I like the first pic; looks like something you’d see in a fantasy/sci-fi movie with the spirits/aliens going back to whence they came. Good job!

4 Likes

Now that is an interesting anecdote. Never thought about how a color blindness differs. I always thought it was just certain colors that were problematic.

4 Likes

This was a common color-blind test used in the Army. I passed it in preparation for flight school. About the same time, there was a sergeant who knew he was red-green color blind, so he “borrowed” the test book from the local dispensary. He memorized the numbers in sequence so he could call them out even if he couldn’t see them.

What he didn’t count on was the medical person who did that part of the official flight physical used a different book! Same numbers and colors, but in different order. Needless to say, the sergeant didn’t pass the test.

6 Likes

That’s awesome! Reminds me of the vision test scene in “Space Cowboys.” My 4 year old daughter recently took a vision test and since she hasn’t learned the alphabet yet she was given the one with pictures. There was an apple-like pictogram which she called a “butt.” The nurse laughed at that but laughed even harder when they moved to the next line: again, there was that apple. My daughter said, “A slightly smaller butt.”

6 Likes

My history professor did something like that. He passed out the final test the first day with like 200 questions which were the points he wanted everyone to learn. Then the actual final was the same questions in a different order so you knew those points or not. No surprises. Plus he was an excellent storyteller and was able to weave the facts into each day’s story so the class was one of the best I ever had.

Unfortunately, he died of a heart attack before the next school season, and to this day I know more about American History through the Civil War than after.

4 Likes

Well I didn’t know I wanted one of these until now. Thanks! Great job by the way!

3 Likes

That’s the way of it here. So many new things that other people do or have that lead us down new roads ourselves :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Don’t show him the pizza oven! LOL

5 Likes

I’m building a new house and one of the things my wife asked was if we were going to build a new one :grin: We decided that although it’s possible to forklift the current one out and bring it with us, we’re going to leave it for whoever buys this house.

6 Likes

Good chance to apply any changes that you’ve come up with over time!

3 Likes