My 6x17 Panoramic Pinhole Camera

Gulp. I’m just gobsmacked.

2 Likes

Thank you :laughing:!

Wow!!

1 Like

That is pretty amazing. And a great subject for the picture. How long did it take from design to final build? Including cleaning up the blood? :grin:

1 Like

Vitamin C and Coffee? Gonna have to look that one up! Dumpster on a hot day…still intriguining. I have burned plenty of acrylic, that sticks, too.

1 Like

Thanks. I started on part of it before I left for a long trip so there was quite a long blank period in addition to the usual procrastination and parenting duties. If I take that out, I’d say it was a month on the design (I do a lot of back and forth) and les than two weeks on the build. The build would have been faster but I remade some parts and the finish I use (Tru-Oil) takes three coats and 24 hours dry time in between. The blood clean up was not bad. That was at most a 24 hour delay.

1 Like

Totally distracting! (Which isn’t a good thing for me right now!) ROFL!
Awesome job and even awesomer pictures.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was incredulous at first. But it’s a thing. It’s commonly called caffenol. There’s lots of YouTube videos on it, but here’s a rather cavalier approach that shows you just how easy it is:

I mean, you get a result. Ansel Adams won’t be happy, but it’s all for a bit of fun isn’t it?

Umm… sorry? :sweat_smile:
Don’t worry I won’t post anything new until I get my next camera done. Which seems months away now that the holiday season is going into overdrive (and the kids will be at home all day after Friday). Cheers!

2 Likes

Sweet job. If I may make a suggestion for your next camera project; a dual 6x8 stereo pinhole camera. With that vintage look, contact prints from your 120/220 roll film should work very well with an old stereoscope. Then again, a stereoscope would be a great Glowforge project.

4 Likes

In love with this!

1 Like

I lived in California from 1960 through 1987. Spent the last 5 years in Scotts Valley, just 7 miles from Santa Cruz, but most people have never heard of it. We moved to Northeast Nevada a few months before the massive quake that was centered in Santa Cruz and caused all the damage in all of the Bay Area. I remember watching the news as they talked about the “cracked freeway” (the Nimitz), which we knew was a two-story freeway that had collapsed. We still had and have many friends living in the area. And we went through a lot of earthquakes ourselves. I don’t miss those.

2 Likes

Thank you! Indeed this is something I am working on, both the camera and the viewing scope. It actually wouldn’t be so difficult given how much I’ve already learned on making these cameras. I’m in the middle of another design that is of a similar theme so I am going to do that first (it also features some technical challenges for me that I’m keen on working out). But rest assured, a stereoscopic pinhole is in the works!

4 Likes

Thank you @monicamichellewrs :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I feel ya. I lived in Tokyo for 25 years and was around for the big one in 2011. Tokyo was spared the worst damage but it was pretty darn scary. Then there were the endless aftershocks. I couldn’t relax for months!

2 Likes

Outstanding. About 20 years ago I was making stereoscopes from assorted hardwoods such as Australian Lacewood and Fiddleback Maple. We set up a 10x10 popup decorated like 19th century parlor to sell my stereoscopes at the Nevada City Victorian Christmas. Business was brisk, not in sales (we froze our butts off). It was a four day event and I sold one scope each day. It didn’t prove to be the money-maker I hoped it would be. I’ll be looking forward to seeing your results, even if that is several years down the road.

3 Likes

Cool! Sounds like beautiful scopes. I am curious, how far apart did you set the interpupillary distance? I’m figuring 63mm, but since there seems to be such a wide range of figures (as well as distances for children) that I’m not sure if I should cheat it one way or the other. Even if I make scopes of various IPDs, the image will be taken at a set IPD (the distance between the two pinholes) so I’m not sure if it would make a difference. Or - do I need to make sure the camera IPD and the scope IPD match? I’ve made virtual reality content before where we made the IPD quite minimal and let the user adjust the IPD on their VR headset and that seemed to work perfectly. I am wondering what your experience was on this. Any bit of insight would be most welcome.

2 Likes

I spaced my lenses at 70mm ocular separation. ViewMaster viewers averaged around 65mm as they were commonly used by both children and adults. There is no need match the camera’s lens separation, especially with so many ways to shoot in 3D from super-macro 3D using scanning electron microscopes (rotate the subject between shots) to super-hyper stereo like the famous stereo photo of the full moon (shot on specific different full moon dates with a separation of hundreds of thousands of miles) and everything in-between.
Have fun with your stereo camera and stereoscope projects.

4 Likes

Possibly relevant to your interests:

3 Likes

Thanks @evermorian ! Yes, I saw this quite a while ago when I was first researching pinhole cameras. There are other videos of people using and reviewing the images it takes. It’s really cleverly designed and is something that you might expect in the catalog using proofgrade materials. In practice, there are one or two issues I hope to resolve when I make my own camera that uses 35mm film. Still, there’s no denying the elegance and charm of this design.

2 Likes