My 6x17 Panoramic Pinhole Camera

How long is the typical exposure?

1 Like

How long is the typical exposure?

For the picture of the Marin Headlands, it was morning, not quite sunny, not foggy, a light haze maybe. The camera is f233 and this particular film was ISO 100 so the exposure time calculated out to be 7 seconds. In practice, because it takes time for me to close the shutter etc., itā€™s probably closer to 10 seconds. Thatā€™s fine because itā€™s always better to overexpose film than under expose, and reciprocity failure on film means you probably want to utter a few one Mississippis under your breath anyway. This is probably a typical time for well lit situations. In shadow, like under a forest canopy, the time can be as long as 15 minutes or even longer depending on what you are exposing for. So Iā€™d bring a book or something :wink:

4 Likes

You inspire me! This is an awesome build.

4 Likes

Really awesome work, and appreciated your write-up. Thank you for sharing your story.

2 Likes

Definitely. When many of us were younger, LEGO bricks were the only mass-market ā€œmaker thingā€. (Tinkertoys just werenā€™t in the same league.) My kids loved them and we still have many of their creations on shelves in their old playroom - the ā€œLEGO Memorial Wallā€.

3 Likes

Well, this is one of my favorite things built with a :glowforge: ! Great write up and really nice results!

7 Likes

Very inspirational! A very nice project! Perhaps one day you will have a simple version for the catalogue. It would surely be a hit. Of course, I dont think anyone would be able to develop the film, but details details. Great work!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been working on photo and AI comboā€™s too. These days I do a lot of tweaking to the images prior to passing them to the AI and then do some more tweaking when it comes back.

Here is a link to my very NSFW etsy page showing some of the results:

Art by Walden (NSFW)

6 Likes

wow really cool

1 Like

We used to visit SF quite often when we lived in California (Fresno, Clovis, Santa Cruz, Concord). I loved going up there during Fleet Week to watch the Blue Angels fly over!

4 Likes

Awesome project! Bookmarked in my list of things to do some day :smiley:

6 Likes

Much appreciated, @ChristieBCurator :pray:

1 Like

Thank you @ptodd!

1 Like

Tinkertoys! Lincoln Logs, and the Erector Set also, but definitely not in the same league. My kids are starting to put heir favorite creations in a makeshift memorial wall too - I can really relate :call_me_hand:! I didnā€™t have a wall but I took pictures (with my 110 camera - dating myself again).

5 Likes

Wow, thank you @pubultrastar !

2 Likes

Thank you! Iā€™d surely like to reach that level. Perhaps, in true maker spirit, Iā€™ll add some instructions on how you can process film at home with coffee and vitamin C. It smells like the bottom of a dumpster on a hot summer day, but it can be done! Cheers.

3 Likes

Wow, beautiful images! When I was living in Japan I was interested in learning kinbaku but never got very far. It is a theme I plan to incorporate in future work though (I do some dance photography on the side as a personal passion). Do you have an Instagram?

3 Likes

Cheers @shelley1 :blush:

I had a buddy who lived in Santa Cruz. He moved there just a little after the Loma Prieta quake and there were still piles of rubble where buildings once stood. Beautiful town with cool people.

3 Likes

Thanks @jestelle - I am humbled!

1 Like