My Almost-Clock

It’s not quite a clock yet, because I miscalculated the shaft length by a hair and need to order a different movement. Also I’m a little worried about whether the hands are going to be too hard to see because of the busyness of the design…guess I’ll burn that bridge when I get to it! :wink:

The layers are (back to front) mahogany-stained Baltic birch, PG walnut ply (lightly sanded and sprayed with laquer because the finish wasn’t quite “finished” enough to make me happy), PG cherry ply, gold mirrored acrylic, PG maple, and PG black acrylic.

IMG_3029

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it’s 12" in diameter. The BB layer is pieced together so I could fit it on the bed.

IMG_3025

110 Likes

The layers look amazing.

4 Likes

The use of colors and different materials looks amazing. What color hands are you thinking of using?

4 Likes

Oh yeah, that’s cool! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I had a choice between brass and black. I went for brass, but I suspect I may have to paint them white. Or possibly neon green… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

Beautiful

4 Likes

Neon green would be easy to see. :+1:

3 Likes

Yeah, not quite the “classy” look I was going to, but if it’s the only way…

5 Likes

Maybe you could figure out a faux copper patina? Blue-green should stand out.

10 Likes

Hmmm, that might work…thanks!

4 Likes

Beautiful!

4 Likes

we need a WOW button!!!

6 Likes

Edge-lit acrylic clock hands :wink:

10 Likes

:trophy:

4 Likes

Right??? That would be awesome. :wink:

I’ve been trying to think of GF-able materials that would be thin enough but stiff enough for clock hands, so I could just cut my own.

4 Likes

Really pretty!

3 Likes

Geez, you’re embarrassing us old timers! Fantastic!

5 Likes

Okay, that took me a minute. Voice to text? :joy:

Aww, you fixed it. It was a good mental exercise the way it was!

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m on the iPad and pushed send too soon it’s fixed now .

2 Likes

Beautiful looking piece.

3 Likes