My crazy Settlers of Catan board

Regarding the paint bleed into the fibers, I found that first painting the cuts with a small brush with clear to seal them works great.

3 Likes

Beginning to think I need to buy this game to find out what all the excitement is about. I have a few co-workers who are always talking about this. And everyone of them wants me to make them the board.

1 Like

Simply amazing dude!

OK, update. I finished my box this weekend.

This is simple draftboard, it started as a test and I was planning on going back and doing a maple plywood version, but now I just think I’m done, because… man oh man this project EATS material.
Went through 4.5 full sheets with the box alone.

Closed with leather straps and snaps, straps adhered to bottom of the box with contact cement.

The main compartment holds the tile organizer, and room for components. I considered doing little gated off areas for the different colored team components and it quickly spiraled into “holy crap this will be a large box!” So I opted for the tile rack and general space for components in zippy bags. My insanity apparently does have limits… who knew?

I had to make 2 versions of the racks, the tolerances were too tight on the first one, and it was gripping the tiles too tightly, causing potential paint running off. Off to the rubbish with that one! The rack is removable, and slots are labeled with tile types for each one.

(I also went in and dry-brushed the tiles, which you can kind of see in these Ore and Brick pics, the edges pop much more now!)

It all stacks with simple lips fitting into each other, which I sanded aggressively to try and make an easier fit. It was really too snug before sanding… damn kerf-math! (Just stuck that bar across the top to make it a little stronger in case someone pushed down on the leather snaps on the top)

Lastly, the bottom third holds the ocean border tiles. I actually keep a paper towel between each of the layers to protect the paint, but that makes for a less pretty picture :wink:

On the very bottom of the ocean compartment I scored in the layouts of how the borders fit together most optimally. Easy touch, considering the line art is sitting right there, might as well use it!

I think that’s it! I’m kinda baked on this project, and though I truly LOVE the results, I have about zero interest in working on it more, hahahha. Snapping those leather straps with everything in the box was almost therapeutic.

A couple friends were like “how much to print me one?”… which we all know is hilarious, as though Ctrl+P is the sum total of effort here.

I’d say altogether this full project was about… hell… 80 hours of work, 100 maybe? And I’d estimate roughly 10 full sized sheets of material (5 draftbaord, 5 maple ply), and a good chunk of random other materials like a little bit of acrylic and about a sheet worth of thick card for building up terrain layers. That’s not including paint and such.

So yeah, I’m too scared to calculate the materials cost alone on this. I’m QUITE sure it’s more cost effective to buy that $500 anniversary chest edition of Catan with the 3D tiles, lol. But, where’s the creative endeavor in that? :slight_smile:

Anywho, thanks for checking out the thread, hope it’s inspirational!

45 Likes

Fantastic job!

1 Like

It’s a one of a kind work of art…you can’t put a price tag on that! :wink:

1 Like

The un-sleeved cards rubber-banded together are killing me. Everything else looks great!

2 Likes

This is awesome! Love how everything fits just right. Very well done.

1 Like

Meh, the cards are 20 years old and well played. Wouldn’t change them if I could :wink:

This whole project is fantastic. The custom case just tops it off.

Great work!

Great job! Hard to price what will become a heirloom object.

HAHAHHHAAAA!!! So very funny and true!!!
“A couple friends were like “how much to print me one?”… which we all know is hilarious, as though Ctrl+P is the sum total of effort here.”

How has it held up?

Just when I think I am starting to get the hang of things and do some decent work, I see something that really reminds me how much I have to learn. Thanks for sharing, this really is quite beautiful work and as a gamer I really appreciate the time and detail you put into it. So many incredible touches to make it truly spectacular. Hope it has brought you some of the fun and enjoyment since the time you created it. I will certainly have some new inspiration for my gaming future. (although I think I am one of the few gamers that doesn’t even own Catan.)

3 Likes

I love it. Friends love it. Total success. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Truly amazing! Well DONE.

Love when this post re-emerges. Still one of my fav all time builds, especially with the painted version!

4 Likes

I’m super honored to hear that :slight_smile:

Blush blush…

1 Like

Absolutely amazing work. Have you put any more thought into if you’ll be sharing the files? I’m more than willing to pay for them. My boys are dying to do some projects with me using the GF and this would be awesome for them while under house arrest.

Wow. My grandson put Catan on his wish list. I came here to learn about making this game. Hahahah. I am out of my league. I will make one before the new year.

1 Like