My first “big” project on my new Glowforge

Hi everyone, new here! Also, Happy Holidays!

This is my first “real” post, other than to comment on a few other posts. I’ve had my Glowforge for about a month now and I finally feel like I have a handle on using some of the design programs and the Glowforge app itself.

I created a file for the stand and made these 3 personalized Cookbook/iPad stands after a friend of mine lamented to me that when she cooks from a recipe either on her iPad or from a cookbook, she tries to prop them up on a dish towel and they’re always falling over :laughing:. I made it my mission to buy or create a special Christmas gift - a cookbook/ iPad stand that she could actually use in the kitchen.

I looked on Etsy and got some great ideas but didn’t see exactly what I wanted so I decided to create my own file (I used Silhouette Studio Business Edition because I already had it) and went from there. I knew I wanted it to be in 1/4 inch plywood and be adjustable.

I wound up making 3 separate stands- and all the recipients just LOVED them and felt they’d be very useful, so that made me really happy : D

The one that says “Julie”- I cut that from 1/4 inch maple plywood and stained it 2 different stains and sanded in between and then at the end as well, for a rustic look. The other two are cut from 1/4 inch mahogany plywood with just a clear finish.

The tree in heart image is a commercial-use file I purchased on Etsy from the shop DIYCUTTINGFILES although the same image is available from several different sellers.

Thanks for letting me share them here!
McKay

63 Likes

Brilliant. Happy holidays to you and welcome to the forum.

8 Likes

Oh thank you so much!!

2 Likes

Great idea and great execution of your design. I used to have that same problem with my iPad while cooking, so this resonates with me. You’re off to a flying good start. We’ll look forward to seeing more of your work.

8 Likes

Those are fantastic! You really hit the ground running.

8 Likes

Wow, thanks so much, you made my day!

3 Likes

Thank you sooo much- what a nice thing to say!

3 Likes

Yes, you do! Welcome to the family.
Nice work :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Haha, thank you very much!:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

You definitely cooked up a treasure!

3 Likes

Are you selling the pattern at all? I’d buy that if you were!

2 Likes

Haha!! Love it🤣 Thank you!

1 Like

Hi, thanks so much! I have thought about selling the file at some point soon in my Etsy shop- or here at Glowforge maybe, but I have to look into the process of both, and a few things to tweak to get it perfect and sale ready. I’ve also never sold a digital file so not sure all that goes into it, but it’s definitely something I plan on looking into!

4 Likes

Good deal! When you get it loaded to whatever your location of choice please feel free to let me know, I’ll be happy to!

Side note Etsy is screwing over it’s users, I’ll be migrating away from it this coming year.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. I’ve had an Etsy shop since 2009 -it’s under FaeByMcKay (not sure I can put that here but if I can’t please let me know and I’ll remove it-still don’t know all the rules of this forum😅) I mainly sell my polymer clay items, wood/leather jewelry, and paintings/artwork (very low stock right now, thank goodness for my new Glowforge- I should be able to get some new things up soon!)

I’m getting incredibly frustrated with Etsy as well and I don’t really make much from each sale. Ideally I’d love to make the file available here on Glowforge and I’m looking into the approval process. The bottom slot measurement of my cookbook stand is off by a VERY tiny bit but I didn’t realize that until after I cut them all. I would also like to add a slot for an iPad charger. So I really need to get it perfect before I can have it out there for people to use.

Also, wanted to mention. If you don’t want to wait, I do see that there are people selling cookbook stand and iPad stand files on Etsy. Not exactly like the one I made, but there are some nice ones on there.

I’ll definitely let you know if I get it up and running! Thanks for your encouragement!

1 Like

These are great!

2 Likes

Welcome and very good job! However, I didn’t receive mine - did you send it to the wrong address? :grin:

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl:!! You’re right, one of them DOES say Ellen! It must have gotten lost in the mail :wink:
And thank you so much, glad you like them!

2 Likes

Thank you so much, I appreciate that!

1 Like

:rofl:

2 Likes