My First Car.... 1969 Plymouth GTX Blueprint

Here is yet again another blueprint project that I have been wanting to put together for some time. I was able to track down good photos of a 1969 Plymouth GTX like I had owned many years ago. From these photos I created the artwork for the project. This took me around a week to put together using Corel Draw. After that I just needed to find the specs for the car that I wanted for the project.

The finished display is 10.5" X 18" in size so it looks really good in my “Gallery” here at home. Enjoy the photos and let me know what you think of my latest effort.

48 Likes

Looks great! Love older cars.

6 Likes

Where do you find images like this? My boss is a big antique Firebird aficionado.

6 Likes

The images for the project of the car I created myself. I found some good photos for reference. Glad you like them.

9 Likes

This is amazing!! You did an excellent job. The attention to details …just wow.

2 Likes

Thanks for your comment. This project was a labor of love to be sure.

2 Likes

What are the posts you used to mount those called? I’m attempting to make a DM screen and want to use something like those for mounting

3 Likes

Looks so good!

3 Likes

All of these have turned out awesome. Great job!

1 Like

This is wonderful! Total admiration for your artwork and the execution is flawless!

2 Likes

Wonderful! Very sharp looking!

1 Like

The posts I used for the project are nothing more than stainless steel button head capscrews (bolts) you can find at your local home and builders store. I then made a simple framework glued on the back of the display to hang it on the wall.

3 Likes

Google image search has some options if you wanted to collage something like this together.

https://www.google.com/search?q=firebird+line+art&tbm=isch

3 Likes

That is sharp. Love it. digging the simple hardware approach as well.

Nice work! Ahh yes, the first car, a young man’s second set of wings. The first being your bicycle.

1 Like

Dang that looks good. Where did you get the artwork? Drew it yourself?

2 Likes

Thanks for the comment. Yes… I created the artwork for this project.

2 Likes

Did you just print out the blueprint on a printer? Or did you use the glowforge to carve the white on blue?

1 Like

The answer to both questions is no. The project is actually quite simple. I created the artwork on my computer and then brought it along with the text over to my Glowforge. There the artwork and text were engraved on to a clear piece of acrylic. This then was attached to a blue acrylic which give the effect of turning it into a blueprint. Both pieces of acrylic were then bolted together using button head stainless steel bolts. A simple framework was designed and glued to the back of the display to make it easy to hang on the wall and also offset it from the wall at the same time. Gives it a nice effect all the way around. Simple to do with a great look as well.

5 Likes

did you use 1/4 acrylic and do you have a picture of the back. was it scored or engraved and last question did you paint the engrave/score part?