My first cut

Let me first say, I have been waiting for my Glowforge for years at this point. Not because I have been waiting on shipment, but because I was never able to pull the trigger on purchasing one. I finally did and I’ve only made the Gift of Good Measure, and I’m in love with this machine. I knew it was amazing thanks to everyone on here posting beautiful projects, but, wow. 5 minutes flat on draft board, and it was done. Lifted the pg material and the piece didn’t even move. Lifted it out and the tiny little circle cutouts stayed in place. The possibilities of this machine are endless, and I have so so so many ideas that will be able to come to life now. Thank you Glowforge for making such a simply beautiful, quality machine that will allow me to add to my woodwoorking side hustle and maybe one day allow me to be able to do this full time.

38 Likes

Glad you finally got it squared away. So much fun. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Need to make a better work surface for it to live on, but that won’t be hard. I have a big live edge slab of oak that may just get turned into a desk soon :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I still remember that first post-cut lift, and keeping the neat little circles “for something”… Such a fun machine.

8 Likes

I couldn’t help but like, laugh from joy when I lifted the piece out. It was such a long time coming for me and I was stupid happy lol

18 Likes

Yeah I still sometimes do this lol

So yeah my advice for you @ryan.niemer is that you invest in storage for materials and scraps because it’s going to run away from you.

I’m s big fan of architectural blueprint flat filing cabinets but there are other options too, some of which you’ve probably already read about. Just give a few forum searches a try like “material storage” or “storage” or “shelves”/“shelving”.

In particular look at the posts about DIY ikea rigs or even the ikea Alex… anyway you’ll have plenty to read.

9 Likes

Ikea is a big friend in our house lol. I will come up with some sort of storage solution for sure. I’ve seen a few different ideas here and there, so I’m probably going to combine several ideas into one at some point soon.

3 Likes

Seems like you’ll fit in nicely around here; never leave a great idea unmodified!

9 Likes

Only people with a Glowforge appreciate the beauty of the Gift of Good Measure - not for what it is, but for the promise it represents. Producing this little thing means all of the ideas we have can also be realized. I look forward to seeing pictures of your creations.

5 Likes

Hopefully this weekend it will be play time. I’m going to have to find more sheet materials for good prices, but for now I’m going to play with the PG materials that came with it. Luckily for me I can break down full 4x8 sheets of ply and the like pretty easily in my shop.

I’ve had mine over 2 years now and I still marvel at what it does. Absolute precision each and every time. I’m glad to hear that you’re on the road to fun and creative things.

3 Likes

The precision is what astounds me. I took it out of the box, plugged it in, and away it went. Perfect right out of the box

3 Likes

You’re so going to love it even more with each project you finish. looking forward to see what you come up with.
p.s. I still wear my Gift of Good Measure as a keychain on my purse. and people marvel when they notice it.

1 Like

I carry mine with me in my pocket lol, it’s now part of my E.D.C. (every day carry)

1 Like

You have just embarked on a wonderful treasure hunt! Exploring different materials and technique was the most fun I have had since I was a child. Welcome to the club :sunglasses:
I’m over two years in, and the fun hasn’t diminished.

5 Likes

Glad you got it at last! Can’t wait to see what you do with it! :grinning:

3 Likes

Me too lol

2 Likes

My IKEA hack table has been fantastic, so far!

1 Like

I actually have seen this, and loved it. The problem is Ikea is 2 1/2 hours away from me lol

1 Like

Yow! I thought I had it bad. My local IKEA is 20 miles away, straight through the highest-traffic parts of the city. 2.5 hours is grim.