My first edge lit creation

This is my first foray into edge lit acrylic, and using a design from 3Bee Studio, though I tweaked the cut a bit to widen the bottom to fit better into the base. May tweak it some more to make the guitar smaller so the head doesn’t fade out as much, or try the method of making the “higher” lines deeper to pick up more of the light…

38 Likes

Looks great!

Going to have tackle this one day . I really want to get into making edge lit stuff . Nice job

Thanks–getting designs already done with cut and etching/scoring makes it super easy, of course! And finding the bases is really easy now, too.

wow !! amazing

Should make your guitar player giftees very happy!

Looks awesome! Your design has inspired me to pull out my edge-lit acrylic and actually make something with it!

Thanks–but credit should go to 3Bee-studio.com where I got this cool design!I just made the purchased design’s cut lines fit my base better…

1 Like

So much fun!

Nice job! Acrylic is so much fun!

So I made 20 or so of these this Christmas for all of our nieces and nephews and some of their parents as well. Many of which I also purchased from 3 Bee Studio. To your point about making the bottom catch less light, I tinkered a bit and ended up applying a gradient of 159, 159, 159 through 255, 255, 255 then rasterizing that (since the the app can’t handle vector gradients at this time) and doing a Varied Power engrave at 1000/100/340. It definitely made quite a bit of difference. Second, I found that leaving some space between the base and the design really helps. 0.5" - 1.0" seemed to be a sweet spot. And then I also found that some of their designs didn’t really fan out from the base as far as they could, so after making the design and base insert the right size, I sometimes had to re-create the cut lines going from the base to the design so it would transmit as much light as possible. I’ve found you can go about 1x the slot width on either side (so 3x the slot width at the widest point) and still grab decent light.

Hope that helps to give you some ideas!

4 Likes

Where did you purchase the base?

Oh, trying to find out: the box had invoice for Shenzhen Ystrom Technology Co, so I checked my Alibaba & eBay & Amazon accounts and no orders for these showing, so guess I need to wait until I get my CC statement to verify the front company. They were shipped very quickly, too, so I am amazed I didn’t write down the site so I can buy from them again.

But there are LOTS of sources selling these bases!! I just found them via google, though black is more common, it seems…

Thanks for the update. If I find a good source I’ll be sure to let you know. :slight_smile:

I just found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCN6B39/ref=dp_prsubs_1

I got mine from Amazon. I made some for my nieces and nephews. Did I take a picture of them ? nope :frowning:

I will have to see if my dad can send a picture to me.

they loved them.

1 Like

Multicolor, cool! I had just opted for single color (and thus a lot cheaper), but it’s nice there are so many out there & easy to find.

This is the one I made my Dad. He is a wood turner, and teaches classes.

his website is TurningsofArt.com

Found my source for the white pucks I used:

Xstron.com. Super fast shipping (from Shenzhen, China–not far from where I used to travel for my last company).

And I also got edge lit badges from them to do some special versions for an upcoming Con I’m involved in (and vendor for my leather goods)–about $3 each, so pretty nice, and used 3D etching for the frog and conflikt, and SD for the other text.

6 Likes

Edge lit badge laniards are a brilliant idea, especially for a *Con.

1 Like

Great share. Thanks!