MY GF just died

It was just sitting there idle as I prepared my next batch of SVGs, and a saw a small flash in the corner of my eye. That same second, the GF turn off… no lights, no fans, nothing. The battery backup/ surge protector it is plugged into reads that even now that it seems dead, it draws 114W while the physical switch is on. :frowning:

This is terrible as i have customer christmas orders in, and i cant use my GF!

2 Likes

Try plugging straight into the wall?

3 Likes

I took a look at the information from your Glowforge and it appears you were able to get back up and printing. Are you still having trouble?

12 Likes

I was just glancing through this part of the forum, and I saw this thread. Anyone else reading this take note:

OP reports problem ~6pm PST via email
Support replies ~ 9pm PST to email already having done some basic diagnostics to look into issue.

A real response in a couple of hours via email outside of core hours, color me amazed.

DAMN vee, you are on fire

11 Likes

There’s no mention of any “e-mail” coming into play for this case. This appears to all have happened on this forum just like it’s supposed to.

1 Like

Thank you Vee, The GF has since been able to power back on but did in fact give me a heart attack. I originally, before even posting on the forum, tried turning it on and off multiple times to no avail. Finally after letting it sit in the off position for about 10 minutes? maybe a bit less? When i flicked the switch it actually powered back on.

It is great that it resurrected, but I would like to know what happened, and how it was even able to recover by itself.

4 Likes

Pretty standard that power supplies can trip out when they detect a fault, like over current or over voltage outputs or under voltage input. To reset they often need to be powered off for several minutes while the main capacitor discharges.

2 Likes

Right, but this was a shock to me since it’s intentionally plugged into a regulator which regulates exact voltage output. Basically just cleans the power going in.

It was scary!!! I wish that we could get an error report when this happens to find out why it did… Maybe it would help glowforge fix an underlying issue to prevent this from happening to others?! Or at least explaining to me what happened. I’m a tech guy , so I feel like I NEED to know what caused this.

1 Like

What sort of regulator is it plugged into?

1 Like

Don’t understand a word of what you said…but, I’m glad you said it, all the same!

Sorry for the delayed response… it is an APC product. It’s a UPS rated at 850W i believe. The description on their site:

The Back-UPS Pro family offers guaranteed power protection for high performance computer systems, routers/modems, external storage devices, game consoles and other electronics in your home or business. These UPSs supply electronics with abundant battery backup during outages and stabilize unsafe voltage levels. They also provide power protection from damaging surges and spikes, and allow the use of management software so you get the most out of your UPS. Premium features of this family may include Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR), an LCD display, Smart Outlets, energy saving functions that reduce electricity use, network manageability, Watchdog, or configurable outlets. Together with the rest of the Back-UPS Pro’s standard features, they are the perfect choice to protect your data and keep your system available.

Fun fact: I have had more APC UPSes try to burn my house down than any other brand!

(The current score is APC - 2; CyberPower - 1)

2 Likes

Well… i own about 5 of them around the house and i have never had issues. The one the GF is plugged into is dedicated to only the GF, in a recently rewired/remodeled room in the house. I think APCs are great. so is their warranty.

I’m not sure how sensitive the voltage regulation is for your particular product (or how sensitive the Glowforge is to fluctuation). I have an APC power conditioner (non-UPS) on some stereo stuff and the back of the manual is pretty interesting as to the description of when it starts conditioning. There is a fair amount of voltage fluctuation (+ or -) before it will start conditioning.

It’s unclear what happened and whether the UPS contributed in any way. In general, we recommend against the use of a UPS, surge protector, or power strip. The Glowforge power supply has its own internal protection components to address common power quality issues.

2 Likes